imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The Mercenary Send a message via AIM to The Mercenary
Default Wild Geese II sniper rifle

Can someone help me with this query, in the film Wild Geese II one of the main characters uses a sniper rifle that is described in the credits as a 'Survivor rifle'. It was provided to the film company by a Don McNabb, does anyone know about this rifle? or even Mr McNabb?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 AM

From Soldier of Fortune magazine, June 85 in the article "HOLDING THE LINE IN HOLLYWOOD", by James Monaghan who picked the weapons for the movie.

"An SOF advertiser came to the rescue. Safari Arms provided two of their special .45 ACP Survivor pistols. Pistols for a sniper role? Yup, these ar the real thing. They're Safari Arms .45 autoloaders that take a specially designed slide, barrel and butt-stock, and mount scopes.

Deadly within its range, the Survivor gives the precision shooter accuracy and reliability with seven-round, semiauto, back-up capability...and it all folds up to 16.5 inches. With dummy silencers they were a fine example of real, available, special purpose weaponry, applied to the right combat situation. Fox had practice in this role from previous film work, and he handled himself like the pro he is".

I haven't been able to find any photos of the SA Survivor on the web. Hope this helps.

David.

Last edited by Krel; 06-02-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Because I don't proof-read that well.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks, its certainly a start and i now know which direction to look (survivor .45 ACP pistol rather than rifle).
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM

More Info found, see my user page.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/User_talk:The_Mercenary
You're dealing with an expert in guerilla warefare. A man who's the best with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather. To live off the land, to eat things that'd make a billygoat puke!