imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM

I thought Delta people just go through the VIP security? The one with no metal detectors.

And my understanding of sidearms was that it they were issued out regardless of your position in case your main weapon failed.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:56 PM

If Delta officially "doesn't exist" (despite the entire world knowing better), why would they reveal themselves to airport security? Who would believe them? Are we going to start handing out Delta Force badges? They are military, so Posse Commitus (or however you say it) applies and they have no legal authority. it's nonsense. Besides, they travel inconspicuously. Going through VIP (what is that anyway? I though FBI types and the crew just showed their badge to the TSA guys and walked through.) attracts attention. waving a long-hair guy in civilian clothes through makes people curious

Last edited by Mandolin1; 09-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugabear View Post
And my understanding of sidearms was that it they were issued out regardless of your position in case your main weapon failed.
Nope, that's why you should be proficient in clearing stoppages in your weapon. If your Rifle fails you just yell "weapon down" or "black" depending on your unit SOP and your team-members cover you until you get your weapon back up.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugabear View Post
I thought Delta people just go through the VIP security? The one with no metal detectors.

Delta Force officially "DON'T EXIST" in U.S Army, according to themselves. Just some fool politicians didn't really care about the reason why they had to hide these SOF's identity at the conference, and that's why we can now walk about special forces called "DELTA FORCE".

I wouldn't try to argue about whether they are able to carry weapon inside airplane, and nobody gives a damn about the chance they will go crazy and start shooting at the people, ending up crushing themselves in white house, but there is no way anyone without any kinds of authorization from both airliner and central command center for airplanes (i don't know what they call it, but there are some places for commanding planes), not even president cannot carry weapon.

P.S) Exception for Airforce One may apply

When your main weapon jam or fail to fire, the first thing you have to do is reloading the weapon, not pulling out sidearm in order to kill the enemy. The best way is pull out used magazine, pull the charging handle, empty the chamber, put in new mag, and start shooting at all over the place. Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM

Fed agencies like marshals, fbi, ice, can all carry on planes. Im sure delta would be able to get an exemption.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzang1847 View Post
When your main weapon jam or fail to fire, the first thing you have to do is reloading the weapon, not pulling out sidearm in order to kill the enemy. The best way is pull out used magazine, pull the charging handle, empty the chamber, put in new mag, and start shooting at all over the place. Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit.
The point of a sidearm is that you have a backup weapon in the event your primary weapon does fail and you DONT have the precious seconds to do "tap, rack, bang". If all you have is one primary weapon and nothing for backup, then you'd take cover. You also did the process wrong.

If your primary weapon fails to fire, you don't take out the mag first. You lock the bolt back, then you strip the magazine, if that didn't already fix the problem, you look inside to see the problem to see if it is a double feed or if the bullet is jammed in there. If it is jammed in there, you have to physically pick it out. Otherwise, you rack the charging handle a couple times until the jam clears. Then you reinsert a topped mag and power stroke the charging handle one time and fire. That's for double feeds.

If it's just a simple bad round, you just tap the mag, rack the charging handle and then fire.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The point of a sidearm is that you have a backup weapon in the event your primary weapon does fail and you DONT have the precious seconds to do "tap, rack, bang". If all you have is one primary weapon and nothing for backup, then you'd take cover. You also did the process wrong.

If your primary weapon fails to fire, you don't take out the mag first. You lock the bolt back, then you strip the magazine, if that didn't already fix the problem, you look inside to see the problem to see if it is a double feed or if the bullet is jammed in there. If it is jammed in there, you have to physically pick it out. Otherwise, you rack the charging handle a couple times until the jam clears. Then you reinsert a topped mag and power stroke the charging handle one time and fire. That's for double feeds.

If it's just a simple bad round, you just tap the mag, rack the charging handle and then fire.

1. I was mentioning about dropping a mag when if the whole mag goes wrong or mag is being suspicious(like spring goes wrong, etc). I know that i wouldn't pull out whole mag and dump it only because of double feed. That's waste of ammo, and also stupid action in battlefield.

2. When i said "Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit", that means you're in tough fight when you have to pull out sidearm instead of trying to solve the malfunction because it means that you don't have reaction time of cleaning your main weapon, but still needs to have a working gun on your hands. I don't think that pulling out of sidearm in range of 300 meters from enemy when your main weapon fails to fire. Maybe i should've mentioned about range condition first
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Fed agencies like Marshals, FBI, ICE, can all carry on planes. I'm sure Delta would be able to get an exemption.
If Delta, why not SEALs? Force Recon?, Ranger? Green Berets? Where do you draw the line? Delta can't, because they are military and have no authority (aside from the "i have a gun, you don't" bit). I'm sure letting them carry would violate Posse Comitatus(like I mentioned earlier) Here's Wikipedia, the all-knowing Internet God of Truth, accuracy, and The American Way, says:
Quote:
The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (today the Army, Navy, Air Force, and State National Guard forces when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act.
Quote:
The original Posse Comitatus Act referred essentially to the United States Army. The Air Force was added in 1956 and the Navy and the Marine Corps have been included by a regulation of the Department of Defense. The United States Coast Guard, when acting in its peacetime capacity, is not included in the Act... However, if, in wartime, a portion of the Coast Guard were subsumed within the Department of the Navy, as it was during World War II, that portion would lose its federal police power authority and responsibility over the federal law-enforcement duties of its civilian mission. This law is often relied upon to prevent the Department of Defense from interfering in domestic law enforcement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act.

So Delta can't because they are DOD, not DOJ. Any questions? let's get back to the original topic.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
That's not what sidearms are for in the United States Military;(excluding any Spec-Ops who you could be right about for all I know). Like others have said before the purpose of sidearms primarily is to arm those who aren't likely to see combat but still have a need to be armed, but don't need to be encumbered by carrying a rifle around all the time.

Like I said before if your weapon goes down you take a knee and yell weapon down so another squad-mate will cover your sector while you fix your weapon.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 09-07-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 AM

I remember reading once how "pistols are among the hardest kinds of firearms to aim, thanks to how many lack a buttstock, another full place to grip with the off-hand, and the short sight radius," so it's not a surprise that rifle form is emphasized first in the regular Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I'm straight up Infantry and when I went to boot the only thing we were taught about the M9 is that it sucks.
So, what would it take to make the first steps towards replacing the M9 with something like the Glock 20? Same magazine capacity of 15 rounds, much better stopping power in FMJ, flatter bullet trajectories and better range, along with more compact options (such as the Glock 20SF, the Glock 29, or even a Glock 29SF) should the need arise for those with hands too small.