imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Gun Identification (CONT'D)

The thread is an obvious neccessity, so I figure we should keep it going, but not make it a monstrous thread to scroll through. Make sure to check on the last few things though to make sure something important isn't missed.

In Vantage Point, the snipers carry rifles which I've ID'd as Steyr SSG 69 rifles. But the only thing off is the bolt handle, which goes straight down instead of curving backwards. Does this mean it is something else? Here's a shot.

At one point in the movie, I was surprised to see a P229 DAK with the frame rail used by a Secret Service agent, and got three "meh" shots of it, but it switched to a Bruni 8mm Beretta at one point.

^ I won't be putting it in three-by-side format on the actual page, but it saves space here.

^ Where'd this come from?!

Final question. When we first see Dennis Quaid loading up his SIG P229 at the beginning, I grabbed a shot of his loaded magazine. Besides seeing it isn't fully loaded (no brass visible through cut in mag), are the rounds loaded 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG? I can't tell, the person who made the page said .357 SIG.

I'll probably have much more to bug everyone with, since like my other thread "Shopping Spree" suggests, I have an assload of movies to screencap.

Also, I have more Leon screencaps to put here for confirmation.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 AM

That's actually neither. Most .40 S&W bullets have flat points at their tip, and .357s have the bottlenecked cartridge. That's a 9mm, believe it or not.

Also, I doubt even if the mag were loaded that you'd see the bullet through the magazine cut.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 08-20-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 AM

I'm fairly sure thats an SSG-69, there are different versions with different bolt handles.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
That's actually neither. Most .40 S&W bullets have flat points at their tip, and .357s have the bottlenecked cartridge. That's a 9mm, believe it or not.

Also, I doubt even if the mag were loaded that you'd see the bullet through the magazine cut.
I figured it was a 9mm, but I just wanted to be sure. It's ridiculous when Dennis Quaid is firing his SIG in the climax of the film. He fires off 21 rounds from a 13 shot magazine. And still has spare ammunition after that!

And I thought you could see the brass through that slot. They likely didn't fully load it anyway, since it's an uneccessary procedure, as we cannot see anything but the top (usually) anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm fairly sure thats an SSG-69, there are different versions with different bolt handles.
That's what I figured, but I was just making sure, since in all the images I found of SSG-69s on google, they all had back turned bolt handles.

Here's some shots of Leon's grenades, maybe someone can figure these out, I'm stumped.

^ The Ring Trick.

^"Oh shit."

I still don't have the best shot of them though, on his holster rig, so I'll put that up soon to help out more.

Also, the ESU guys have grenades too. I'm guessing they're M67 Baseballs, but I'll put them here to be certain.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

In the same scene we see the "Ring Trick", the guy inside is blasting away with an unknown assault rifle. These are the only shots ever given:

The star pattern type flash hints maybe an M16 of some sort? Like this one seen in the hands of an ESU agent (not sure it's an Adler Jaer though)

We see 5.56mm blank ammunition on the floor of his apartment, so it's a maybe.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
They look like fakes with real [though presumably inert] plugs. Look at the two nearest the bottom of the image, the spoons aren't even the same shape.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 AM

BTW -Gunmaster 45, If you think some of your caps for Leon are higher quality than mine I have no problem with you replacing some of them
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Okay, that's good. 'cause I was kinda planning to.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
'cause I was kinda planning to.
You fiend!!