imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM

Just got a Browning Hi Power the other day! 1968 T-series that took forever to ship (I'm assuming because of the hysteria). I'm lucky I have a dad cool enough to buy nice stuff like this for me... He got it at a pretty good price too, although it is a beat of a beater. I'll probably have it refinished.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelTomb View Post
Just got a Browning Hi Power the other day! 1968 T-series that took forever to ship (I'm assuming because of the hysteria). I'm lucky I have a dad cool enough to buy nice stuff like this for me... He got it at a pretty good price too, although it is a beat of a beater. I'll probably have it refinished.
Oh indeed. Is it one of the Israeli/military surplus models that have been coming in, or just a well seasoned Browning import? I'd really like to see pictures of it. Welcome to the club sir.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Oh indeed. Is it one of the Israeli/military surplus models that have been coming in, or just a well seasoned Browning import? I'd really like to see pictures of it. Welcome to the club sir.
Honestly, I am unsure. I'm not an expert in these, but I see no markings that seem to identify it as Israeli. However, it is Belgian marked (not Browning) and I noticed that it has no import markings. I don't know the implications of this, but I'll try and get some pictures of it up this weekend.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Honestly, I am unsure. I'm not an expert in these, but I see no markings that seem to identify it as Israeli. However, it is Belgian marked (not Browning) and I noticed that it has no import markings. I don't know the implications of this, but I'll try and get some pictures of it up this weekend.
If it came from Cole Distributing. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=979927 It's likely an Israeli surplus. I got my Mark II HP from them, many times there are no special markings.

I shot mine this weekend, ran great. With yours being an older T-Series it may not run well with hollowpoints. Since you don't know the history of it, I would buy a complete spring kit for it. You can replace everything but the mainspring without completely stripping the pistol.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
If it came from Cole Distributing. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=979927 It's likely an Israeli surplus. I got my Mark II HP from them, many times there are no special markings.

I shot mine this weekend, ran great. With yours being an older T-Series it may not run well with hollowpoints. Since you don't know the history of it, I would buy a complete spring kit for it. You can replace everything but the mainspring without completely stripping the pistol.
The hollowpoint thing is what I'm afraid of; I already polished the feed ramp pretty good, but only running some hollowpoints will really show for sure. Do you thing it will run all right with a flat point/TMJ type bullet? I handload them and have around 800 rounds on hand so...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
The hollowpoint thing is what I'm afraid of; I already polished the feed ramp pretty good, but only running some hollowpoints will really show for sure. Do you thing it will run all right with a flat point/TMJ type bullet? I handload them and have around 800 rounds on hand so...
Not sure, you'll just have to test them. There's been cases of some older HP's with the humped feedramp feeding hollowpoints, but it's probably not the norm.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Not sure, you'll just have to test them. There's been cases of some older HP's with the humped feedramp feeding hollowpoints, but it's probably not the norm.
In that case, would you recommend a whole new barrel? Or perhaps a throated chamber (or something along those lines)? I got the feed ramp pretty slick, but I won't know how it runs until I have the chance to shoot it; that may happen this weekend. I'll post my findings if I do.