imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Excalibur's Avatar
Excalibur Excalibur is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,792
Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Marines are not called soldiers

I just had a long debate trying to convince a guy who really wants to call all Servicemen "soldiers". It started out as Marines are not called Soldiers because...they are Marines.

This guy said "Soldiers are defined as serving in a military. All the above serve in the military, therefore they are under the umbrella of a soldier. But if defined by what society wants sure."

You call people in the Navy, Sailors. Air Force is Airmen. Now got you "jobs" in the branches like Navy pilots, Air Force pilots and Marine pilots.

But in the board sense, each branch are called their respective terms. Marines are not Soldiers.

I want to know other people's opinions about this.
__________________

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
  #2  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

That guy was definitely in the minority.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #3  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
That guy was definitely in the minority.
Yeah, definitely. He should try calling a Marine a Soldier to his face and see what kind of tongue lashing he gets.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
  #4  
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Yeah, definitely. He should try calling a Marine a Soldier to his face and see what kind of tongue lashing he gets.
Let's hope it can be limited to a tongue lashing.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #5  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Yournamehere Yournamehere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 912
Default

Is there more depth or a more articulated argument as to why Marines aren't called soldiers or is it some hurrdurr pride/semantics thing? You haven't exactly convinced me of the former.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 07-15-2012 at 04:01 AM.
  #6  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Is there more depth or a more articulated argument as to why Marines aren't called soldiers or is it some hurrdurr pride/semantics thing? You haven't exactly convinced me of the latter.
Marines, historically, have a distinct function, that of naval infantry. Nowadays, at least with the USMC, that role is slightly blurred, with the Marines doing many of the same things as the Army, but yes, there is a difference.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #7  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Yournamehere Yournamehere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Marines, historically, have a distinct function, that of naval infantry. Nowadays, at least with the USMC, that role is slightly blurred, with the Marines doing many of the same things as the Army, but yes, there is a difference.
Which is? You still haven't explained it.
  #8  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Marines, historically, have a distinct function, that of naval infantry. Nowadays, at least with the USMC, that role is slightly blurred, with the Marines doing many of the same things as the Army, but yes, there is a difference.
10 characters
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #9  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Yournamehere Yournamehere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 912
Default

Okay, so your argument is that they are infantry for a separate branch ffrom the Army and that makes them not "soldiers". So you're saying the "soldier" title is exclusive to the Army branch and not others?

If that's what you're saying, then why is that the case?
  #10  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

Well, since you're the one challenging the status quo, why do YOU think that Marines should be called "soldiers?" And should Marine aviators be called airmen?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.