imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 AM

How does someone not know what a Desert Eagle is? It has been in just about every single goddamn movie and video since it was put into production

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well a lot of people have SEEN a Desert Eagle, but it wouldnt be surprising if they dont know what it is. How often in a movie do you hear it being called by its name?

Now if someone didn't know what an AK-47 is by name, then they are stupid.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 AM

Suprisingly, I've met a few people like that

Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

A lot of the general public don't know a thing about firearms and react surprisingly when you explain things to them.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM

When people find out I own 15 guns their heads damn near explode

Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM

I dont expect the non-gun nut to know all the guns. We all love guns here, many soldiers may sighn up to serve, shoot well, but not read gn mags, browse forums, etc. Have you ever noticed how many military vets just buy a m92fs and ar-15? Its the gns they knew and used. Although, i know one national guard person who doesnt know what a m9 is.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

A Marine buddy of mine didn't want to get the M92FS. He said he didn't like it that much and bought an XD. He does however want to get a class 3 license and get himself a full auto M16

Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Every single vet I've met that's had to use the M9 thinks it's a piece of shit. Oddly enough, the majority of those guys own Kimbers

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I hate the people who falsely claim to be small arms experts too. I usually know much, much more than them about guns and I am by no means any sort of expert
I know of one guy who writes for a couple publications and outside of a 25 yard range I don't think he's ever used a firearm. I first heard about the guy when someone who admits to having only shooting a firearm once in their life tried to argue that the 5.56X45mm round was short ranged and that the 7.62X51mm NATO round was uncontrolable in Full Auto. Now I have seen a 5.56/.223 rifle shoot out past 600 yards. Heck there is a man who has used a .223 AR-15 varient to put twenty rounds in a twenty inch circle in twenty seconds at a range of 1,000 yards. The man chose the cartridge because it had low enough recoil that the weapon wouldn't be moved off target.

As for the 7.62 NATO round I have friends who use such rifles at Class 3 competitions. In addition I have friends who have used such rifles in more "political" situations and when under 100 yards such weapons can be used to shred entire squads who have made the mistake of bunching up at the bottom of hills. Unfortunatly most armies don't properly train their troops to really use the weapons they are given.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

The vets I know have no real complaints about the 5.56 being too weak. A couple have a little problem with jamming in their M16/M4s, but they are ok with the weapon.