imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2021, 03:30 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,002
Default Wondernine Love

I like the Wondernines. As a young guy I worked real hard at not liking them. My father was a huge 45acp fan and I wanted to be like dad. But like most of us I aged and went my own way. As an adult I like 38 Special in revolvers and 9mm in pistols. I really like the Beretta 92FS. I've even gone so far as to buy wooden grips from Beretta to spiffy it up. I like the older style Wondernines - the Eighties and Nineties models especially, But I was a young man when the Beretta 92FS, Glock 19 and S&W 5944 were introduced so they don't seem antiquated to me.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2021, 08:59 PM
Mazryonh Mazryonh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 289
Default

I don't mind "Wonder Nines," old or new. But ever since I discovered how much more powerful and versatile handguns in 10mm Auto can be, I like them much better.

Wasn't the first "Wonder Nine" the Browning Hi-Power?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I don't mind "Wonder Nines," old or new. But ever since I discovered how much more powerful and versatile handguns in 10mm Auto can be, I like them much better.

Wasn't the first "Wonder Nine" the Browning Hi-Power?
Sort-of. According to some references a "Wonder Nine" is a high capacity (staggered column) nine millimeter handgun with a double-action trigger for at least the first shot. If that's your criteria then I would say the first "true" commercially produced Wonder Nine pistol would be the Smith & Wesson Model 59 (1971 - 1982) with it's 14 round magazine and double-action trigger. Double action 9mm pistols that preceded it (S&W M39, Walther P38) had single stack magazines. The Beretta 92 is the second Wonder Nine; it followed the Model 59 in 1975 and from there we were off to the races.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2021, 03:32 PM
Mazryonh Mazryonh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 289
Default

Well, at least the Beretta M9 (what the Beretta 92 became) is still being upgraded today. Beretta recently announced the release of their M9A4 model, whose distinguishing feature is its optics-ready nature.

Why don't single-action-only 9mm handguns with double-stack magazines count in your definition of a "Wonder Nine"?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2021, 05:43 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Well, at least the Beretta M9 (what the Beretta 92 became) is still being upgraded today. Beretta recently announced the release of their M9A4 model, whose distinguishing feature is its optics-ready nature.

Why don't single-action-only 9mm handguns with double-stack magazines count in your definition of a "Wonder Nine"?
The term "Wonder Nine" came about when they started being adopted by police departments as a more modern replacement for the .38/.357 revolvers they tended to use at the time. A revolver can fire double action on the first shot, so a lot of police would want the ability to do this with a replacement otherwise it would be a loss of a feature. Some forces even adopted DAO versions of DA/SA guns so that they felt even more like the revolvers they replaced with a simpler manual of arms. These DAO guns are still "Wonder Nines", but an SAO action version of the same gun would not be. This doesn't necessarily mean that a DA/SA or DAO gun is better than an SAO gun (although I personally think it is), it is just that the term "Wonder Nine" traditionally applies to pistols that were aimed at an LE market so the DA pull on the first shot is a very desirable feature.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2021, 05:58 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Sort-of. According to some references a "Wonder Nine" is a high capacity (staggered column) nine millimeter handgun with a double-action trigger for at least the first shot. If that's your criteria then I would say the first "true" commercially produced Wonder Nine pistol would be the Smith & Wesson Model 59 (1971 - 1982) with it's 14 round magazine and double-action trigger. Double action 9mm pistols that preceded it (S&W M39, Walther P38) had single stack magazines. The Beretta 92 is the second Wonder Nine; it followed the Model 59 in 1975 and from there we were off to the races.
Technically the first wonder nine is the VP70 in 1970, but that is such a werid gun it is kind of on the border. I think that the Beretta is also slightly beaten out by the CZ-75.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2021, 04:16 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Technically the first wonder nine is the VP70 in 1970, but that is such a werid gun it is kind of on the border. I think that the Beretta is also slightly beaten out by the CZ-75.
True. The Beretta 92 was designed in 1975, but commerical production began in 1976. Good point. I never even thought of the VP70. I suppose because of the rifle stock and the three round burst feature it occupies the 'machine-pistol" category in my mind. However, it could be considered a wonder-nine if you disregard those things and it is true that H&K made it for both the military and commerical markets.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,922
Default

Having a S&W 39, 459, and 5906, I'd say out of them the 39 is about as good a S&W automatic as you can get. As much as people complain about the DA triggers on the 1st and 2nd gen S&W autos you don't really notice it much when actually shooting, and the SA triggers are actually pretty good; wide, light, super short reset that's very predictable. I really like DA/SA 9s but it's kind of funny how a lot of them just aren't quite right for me, like there'll be one thing that bugs me just a little (decocker on P226, Beretta 92's exposed trigger bar, CZ75 only having a safety and no "good" way to decock, S&W 459 trigger being sharp on the edges, etc) that half makes me want to either suck it up and git gud reloading revolvers fast, or go for striker guns. Regardless, I love wondernines and DA/SA in general, enough that I've been shopping around for Ruger P series stuff, Taurus PT92's, Daewoo DP51's, and Beretta Cheetahs
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2021, 09:18 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 543
Default

What do you find wrong with the decocker on the P220s? Is it the specific design or you just don't like a decocker only as a "safety"? I carried a P226 and realy liked it, however I would concede that it is perhaps a litle more comlicated from a training perspective. From a military POV where pretty much everything has an on/off safety I know some people who had a hard time getting their head around how to use the decocker and what it actually did. With a safety it is either on or off, with a striker gun there is nothing to have to thick about, with a decocker gun it is safer sometimes than others but never actually safe which is odd for some people to work with. I loved the P226 though, I preferred it to the Hi-Power I had before and the Glock I have now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2021, 01:42 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
What do you find wrong with the decocker on the P220s? Is it the specific design or you just don't like a decocker only as a "safety"? I carried a P226 and realy liked it, however I would concede that it is perhaps a litle more comlicated from a training perspective. From a military POV where pretty much everything has an on/off safety I know some people who had a hard time getting their head around how to use the decocker and what it actually did. With a safety it is either on or off, with a striker gun there is nothing to have to thick about, with a decocker gun it is safer sometimes than others but never actually safe which is odd for some people to work with. I loved the P226 though, I preferred it to the Hi-Power I had before and the Glock I have now.
It is in an unfortunate place for quick use by a leftie, as is the slide release, but it's not really a big deal and won't matter to most users. I actually like the P22x series a lot, only reason I haven't gotten one yet is that they almost never come up used for a good price in my area
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.