imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Rifle ID on "Leon: The Professional"

I don't know if you guys remember this 'online butting of heads" back in the day, but back in 2009, my ID of the rifle that Leon uses on the rooftop was challenged by an anonymous user. At the time I opined that it was a Bushmaster V-Match with thumbhole stock (those were readily available at the time the film was shot). The anonymous user kept on pushing that the rifle was a SGW Multimatch. Ironic since I can find NO PHOTO of this so called rifle on the net and any rifles I have found that match the name have standard stock and sight configurations. The 'pic' we have is some guy's artistic rendition of what he 'thought' the rifle was.

Question: I have recently come across an example of the rifle I was talking about and was thinking about taking pics of it. It MATCHES the rifle in the film pretty exactly and it's NOT an SGW gun. Should I take pics? and change the entry? For the last 5 years people have been quoting US (i.e. IMFDB) as the source of this information, but that information came from an anonymous user who made a total of six edits and then left without a trace back in 2009.

(a) if the anonymous user was in fact, quoting from direct knowledge, then let me know

(b) I am very suspicious of any gun that apparently have no photos anywhere (so help me out here, are there any photos you've been able to find? ) I would default to a gun that I can find and photograph and prove existed at the time, versus just some guy's words on the internet.

(c) I want to correct this nagging feeling that we have wrong information on this page. Some of our admins have fixed up that section, but they kept the anonymous user's initial edit intact. I've always been bugged by that entry. I have yet to been able to support it or verify it independently.

(d) Short of contacting Christophe Maratier the armorer for Leon, (I wish ) what do you guys think?

Your input is appreciated. If you think that it should stay as it is, let me know. Thanks in advance.

(Note: of course this is a Moot point if the rifle disappears before I can photograph it, but I wasn't even going to try unless others thought it was a worthwhile endeavor)

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 12-07-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

I do not know if it is an SGW Matchmaster, but am pretty sure it is an SGW or Oly Arms rifle of some sort. The real telling feature is the scope rail. Here are some pics of an SGW Ultra Match, note the older Weaver style rail which overhangs the front of the receiver slightly. If you compare to this image you can see that this rifle has a Weaver type rail, and this one shows it has the same overhang as the above SGW rifle. This Ultra Match has the same style handguard and gas block as the Leon gun as well, but the Ultra Match only had a 20" barrel, so I think they are different but related.

Not sure, but I think that when SGW changed to Oly Arms they changed the name of this gun to the PCR-1 and started a series (e.g. PCR-2, PCR-3, PCR-4 and so on), with other guns that had 16" barrels, but I am not familiar enough with them to know if this is one of them. Or it could go the other way, and this is another SGW model from before Oly Arms but I don't know any info about these guns (including the supposed Match Master).
Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

THANKS! commando552! Great information! And you have an eagle eye. I did not notice that slight overhang before. But you totally got my confusion. I can't find any photo evidence of a 16" barreled SGM Match rifle anywhere. It could very well be a Franken gun, built by Maratier himself. Hmmmm. Think I will still try to photograph that other rifle anyway. Your research should be incorporated into the gun description though Great job as usual!