imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Gunfights tournament

I brought this up in November, but it's nearly tournament time. In short, I'm thinking about putting together Best Gunfights Tournament Bracket in time for March Madness. Thirty-two gunfights in four "regions." Looking at the Grantland FB page, there does appear to be a way to do polls, so we'd need close integration with the FB page and the blog.

Criteria: best gunfights on film, only one gunfight per film.
Regions: Michael Mann/John Woo, Westerns, War, Everything else.

Nominations:

Michael Mann/John Woo region:
- Heat, bank heist
- Public Enemies, Little Bohemia shootout
- Collateral, club shootout
- Miami Vice, final shootout
- The Killer, final shootout
- Hard Boiled, hospital shootout
- Face/Off, apartment shootout
- One more

Westerns regions:
- Tombstone, Gunfight at the OK Corral
- Unforgiven, final shootout
- The Outlaw Josie Wales, final shootout
- The Wild Bunch, final shootout
- Four more

War region: (This is a diffcult region for me.)
- Saving Private Ryan, Omaha Beach
- (Does the Ride of the Valkyries scene in Apocalypse Now count as a gunfight?)
- More entries

Everything Else regions: (this is going to be very contested. Maybe this should be merged with the war region.)
- Way of the Gun, ending
- The Matrix, rescue of Morpheus
- Predator, camp assault
- Commando, the end of the film (Arnold might have his own region as well.)

Or, I suppose we can just throw everything in one heap, seed them, and distribute them amongst four equal regions. The trouble with that is, as I pointed out earlier, that we can just have an all Michael Mann Final Four.

Ideas? Nominations?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM

There is one film that is little known outside Russian-speaking people... but it's a real legend among "Eastern" films: ''White Sun of the Desert'' ("Beloye solntse pustyni") with several gunfighting scenes that are not inferior to best classic Westerns.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Z View Post
There is one film that is little known outside Russian-speaking people... but it's a real legend among "Eastern" films: ''White Sun of the Desert'' ("Beloye solntse pustyni") with several gunfighting scenes that are not inferior to best classic Westerns.
Is there one particular scene you have in mind?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Maybe replace the Western and Everything Else regions with Domestic and Foreign?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Is there one particular scene you have in mind?
Yes, the scene on the sea beach in the middle of the film. Sukhov is captured and disarmed by several enemies. Ibraghim, the leader of the enemy group, looks at Sukhov's wristwatch, a rare thing in Middle Asia in 1920s. Sukhov gives his watch to Ibraghim and while the brigand is charmed by this thing, Sukhov knocks Ibraghim's Mauser from his hand, shoots two of three brigands while the third one is strangled by a lasso thrown by Sayid who is hiding nearby. Later Sukhov asks Said: "How did you appear here?", and Sayid says his signature phrase that he says several times during the film: "Has heard shooting".

Another good gunfighting scene is the final one when Sukhov is besieged in empty oil tank (the scene is too long and complicated to put the synopsis here ).

The film with English subtitles can be seen on official Mosfilm site: http://cinema.mosfilm.ru/films/film/...lntse-pustini/
Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 PM

How about the final shootout from The Kingdom, which unfortunately isn't on Youtube? Or the final shootout from The Wild Bunch. I haven't seen any really good gunfights recently, Elysium seems kinda small to count, even if the Chemrail is awesome, and Lone Survivor wasn't all that great. Any favorites from Band of Brothers or The Pacific, or are those TV and thus not counted? On, and don't forget the final gunfight from Rambo.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
How about the final shootout from The Kingdom, which unfortunately isn't on Youtube? Or the final shootout from The Wild Bunch. I haven't seen any really good gunfights recently, Elysium seems kinda small to count, even if the Chemrail is awesome, and Lone Survivor wasn't all that great. Any favorites from Band of Brothers or The Pacific, or are those TV and thus not counted? On, and don't forget the final gunfight from Rambo.
Let's keep it to just films from now. It's hard to find just one with war films. For example, Black Hawk Down was a great film overall, but can you pick out just one gunfight to single out?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Let's keep it to just films from now. It's hard to find just one with war films. For example, Black Hawk Down was a great film overall, but can you pick out just one gunfight to single out?
The most memorable gunfights from BHD for me are either the scene where they first take the hotel, or the one towards the end during the night where he throws the IR strobe up on the roof and the AH-6s strafe it with miniguns and rockets. Not saying these are the best as I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember them so that must count for something.

Are these gunfights supposed to be most realistic gunfights, or just "best"? If the latter, then I think we should really have a scene from Equilibrium (either the one near the beginning where they are sweeping the building for resistance members or the one at the end where he is dressed in white).

Also, for "Saving Private Ryan" I am more inclined to say that the better "gunfight" is actually the fight at the bridge towards the end.

As for westerns, how about the gunfight at the end of "Open Range", or the one at the end of "Django Unchained"?

Other random gunfights that I can think of off of the top of my head, "Untochables" (either the scene on the Canadian border or the one on the steps at the train station), the Sommerfield shootout from "Hot Fuzz", and the rescue scene from "Proof of Life". Possibly also the end of "Blood Diamond" but i can't really remember if that was much of a gunfight, and there is probably a scene from "Platoon" that could go in there as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well under foreign I would nominate the gunfight at the end of "Leon: The Prefessional" (1994). When the corrupt officers come for him. It might not be realistic, but it's well staged and in my opinion very effective.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 PM

The shootout scene from The International inside the Guggenheim Museum was pretty well done. For the John Woo/Michael Mann category, the restaurant shootout in A Better Tomorrow was also a great scene.

For the westerns, the final shootout in Open Range should be included as well.