imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Default Amatuer fps Part deux

Just got a couple of ideas for my game. These are random bits of gameplay.

1 Every weapon, upon spawning and brandishing for the first time, is loaded and cocked. Reload animations can be interrupted by switching guns, and consist of 5 basic moves, which vary if the gun was fired until dry or not. Safety on, Clip out, clip in, charge, safety off.

2: When all ammunition is depleted, all weapons become melee weapons until ammunition is found.

3: Light smg for Rebel team is a powder nailgun modified to fire distance and full auto. Has 30 nail clip inserted forward of trigger, and unlimited blanks in grip. When nails are depleted, melee attack simply shoots blanks, which can do a fair bit of damage close up.

That's all I can think of now. Comments, suggestions, insults all welcome.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post

Safety on, Clip out, clip in, charge, safety off.

Has 30 nail clip...

I thought I would point this out with some comical images.

You have some promising ideas otherwise, but the non-gun wise gamers are apparently easily amused so cocking the gun everytime "looks cool". I for one think all guns should have the firing selectors, including SAFE!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 AM

Well, I could make up something about how every gun in the whole game will use stripper clips, but the truth is "clip" has less letters than "magazine". And like I said, the charge animation only plays when the gun had run dry. I plan on having a fire rate selection like in the Ballistic Weapons mod for UT2004.
Oh, and the nailgun will use an actual clip.

I thought up another feature: Melee weapon for sniper class is a telescope. Primary fire is an overhand strike, secondary blocks, and using the aim function, id est middle clicking will look through the telescope, which provides quicker zoom in/out times and less sway than the scope on the rifle itself.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 AM

I love in games when you rack the charging handle on m4s EVERY time, lets say you swithch to pistol, then back, you still do it! Like there isn't a round chambered or anything......Like in movies where you need to rack the slide of a shotgun every time you walk in a room and notice ammo's out by the time you clear a house.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Mag works much better, and sounds more professional than wrongly using the term clip.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:13 AM

Well, I try not to let things slip my mind, but confusing "Mag" and "Clip" is less important, on my list, than remembering to close the box after pouring a bowl of Life cereal. Let's have some more opinions about the gameplay ideas.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Whatever, just remember it if you post on the main site.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
1 Every weapon, upon spawning and brandishing for the first time, is loaded and cocked. Reload animations can be interrupted by switching guns, and consist of 5 basic moves, which vary if the gun was fired until dry or not. Safety on, Clip out, clip in, charge, safety off.
Now, not that I've got first-hand experience here, but if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the bolt of an M4 or M16 lock back even when the weapon is fired until dry? Pulling the cocking handle wouldn't be necessary as all you'd have to do is slap the bolt release and you're locked and loaded.

Now, true, this isn't so for every weapon, but...
Quote:
2: When all ammunition is depleted, all weapons become melee weapons until ammunition is found.
Likey, likey. Being able to smash a baddy's skull in with the butt of my rifle sounds oddly satisfying...
Quote:
3: Light smg for Rebel team is a powder nailgun modified to fire distance and full auto. Has 30 nail clip inserted forward of trigger, and unlimited blanks in grip. When nails are depleted, melee attack simply shoots blanks, which can do a fair bit of damage close up.
A full-auto nail gun sounds more like a Resident Evil Outbreak weapon than a realistic FPS weapon.

There are plenty of low-end, readily available subguns in the world that could fill that role.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM

I chose the nailer for the Light Rebel smg because I saw it as a sort of insurgency weapon. I plan for all melee weapons and a few firearms for the rebels to be construction tools, like a crowbar, wrench, or a can of WD-40.