imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Talk pages

Pet peeve here..

Why are people discussing, debating and arguing in the middle of the articles? Why can't we all just use the talk pages for that?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Well, people don't check the discussion as often since they aren't informed on the main site page when its been edited, while editing the movie page informs the users someone has made a change, so people making or editing the pages can check it out right away.

Eventually we get rid of the discussion, unless the person who made it forgets or is too lazy to remove it.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

We do it only when we're trying to ID specific guns used in a movie and are unsure. Usually, we make those comments only for the benefit of the person who created the page and expect them to be edited out as soon as they make the corrections.

But yes, Discussion page is usually better place to do it.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

because sometimes it's best to leave a common in the talk section that is meant to talk about that specfic page. I mean yeah this forum is useful, but it's quicker to add to the discussion section of that page instead of making a thread here.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think you misunderstood him, he means when you add comments under the screencaps on the movie page. What he's wondering is why we don't use the movie page's discussion section more often. Using the forum to discuss this would just be a pain in the ass.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm just used to Wikipedia, where the article is the article and everything that shouldn't be a part of the article is kept to the talk page. The talk page is used to discuss editing of the article and anything unrelated to that is taken elsewhere.

But I guess there are different norms here.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Those are MEANT to be temporary. It draws attention to is and hopefully will get someone who really knows the answer, and it is assumed that when we figure out what the answer is, we'll fix the page.

I see no problem with it. If you see a discussion in a page that serves no purpose, then move it to the discussion page.

I myself have queried people for help or input on the main movie page and I don't see a problem with it as long as it is a temporary thing.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

In theory, I don't disagree that the Discussion pages are where Wiki users (on any Wiki) are supposed to talk about mistakes made on the page, or (for our purposes) helping with gun IDs.

However, it becomes a bit annoying when you may have several screenshots of guns and you need to distinguish between certain types easily. For instance, I remember seeing a page where the user was confusing Glock 17s with Glock 19s and had them all grouped together as Glock 17s. If I had to point out his mistake in the Discussion section, I would have had to say something like, "OK, the third, fourth, and sixth shots all show Glock 19s." It may be a little annoying to have to refer back to them, so I just comment underneath the particular screenshot, "This one is actually a Glock 19".

That's just one example, but there are quite a few. In general, it just seems less awkward. Discussion pages tend to get used instead for talking about the movie itself.