imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I can understand talking while driving since you can still use your hands to drive and your eyes, but texting while driving is just stupid. You don't take your eye off the road for a second.
Yeah, I can't understand how someone can equate those two, either. It's like comparing a pillow fight to a knife fight and claiming both are just as dangerous.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Yeah, I can't understand how someone can equate those two, either. It's like comparing a pillow fight to a knife fight and claiming both are just as dangerous.
They did a study that showed driving while talking on a cell phone can be just as hazardous as driving while drunk. So what if you can drive and talk just fine at the same time? Lots of people can drive drunk just fine, too. Doesn't make it right.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
They did a study that showed driving while talking on a cell phone can be just as hazardous as driving while drunk. So what if you can drive and talk just fine at the same time? Lots of people can drive drunk just fine, too. Doesn't make it right.
my friend was killed saturday coming home from the auburn game by a drunk driver, t'boned her car, her friend emily was a passenger and is still alive. the funeral was today. just thought i might throw that important note out there
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
"Studies" like that are full of bullshit.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Studies" like that are full of bullshit.
Please, go on, enlighten us with your vast knowledge of the scientific method.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM

There are hands free devices like a bluetooth, if the call is so damned important invest in one. Most calls can wait till your home.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Please, go on, enlighten us with your vast knowledge of the scientific method.
It's actually so simple a cave man could do it: Talk with your mouth, not your hands and eyes. It's no different than talking to a person in the seat next to you. Or should that be outlawed, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
There are hands free devices like a bluetooth, if the call is so damned important invest in one. Most calls can wait till your home.
Most of them suck, even the big name brands. Nobody can hear you on the other side.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Most of them suck, even the big name brands. Nobody can hear you on the other side.
So it's like having a Blackberry stuck to your head, but without the you-can't-hear-the-other-person-either?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's actually so simple a cave man could do it: Talk with your mouth, not your hands and eyes. It's no different than talking to a person in the seat next to you. Or should that be outlawed, too?
Just because you can do it just fine doesn't mean the majority of the population can do it too. If they could, there wouldn't be a problem. Also, it is different from talking to a person next to you because it blocks off part of your peripheral vision and occupies one of your hands, giving you less control over the steering wheel. Unless you're one of those people who drives with your head kinked over your shoulder to hold the phone, which is even more stupid and dangerous.

Like I said, some people can drive smashed off their asses on 8 different kinds of pixie dust and a liter of goldschlager and get by just fine. Does not mean everyone can, does not mean a majority of people can, does not mean that it's a good idea for you even if you can do it.

And saying "Pshh it's easy, I do it all the time, fuckin' cavemen yadda yadda" does not at all disprove any peer reviewed study that yields findings to the contrary.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
So it's like having a Blackberry stuck to your head, but without the you-can't-hear-the-other-person-either?
Yeah, pretty much. At least the person I'm talking to can hear me. Last headset I had, I could scream into it at the top of my lungs and still not have the other person hear me.

Quote:
Just because you can do it just fine doesn't mean the majority of the population can do it too. If they could, there wouldn't be a problem.
Just like how drugs wouldn't be a problem if they were legal? You really must be POI because only a dumbass like him would chastise me for using my phone in the car while at the same time supporting complete legalization of illegal narcotics.

Quote:
Also, it is different from talking to a person next to you because it blocks off part of your peripheral vision and occupies one of your hands, giving you less control over the steering wheel.
My peripheral vision isn't affected when I'm on the phone because my eyes are in the front on my skull, not inside my ears. I also have no problem maintaining control over my car with one hand because that's the way I was taught to drive since I was 10. I can swing the wheel in multiple circles in either direction with one hand quite easily.

Quote:
Unless you're one of those people who drives with your head kinked over your shoulder to hold the phone, which is even more stupid and dangerous.
See above response.

Quote:
Like I said, some people can drive smashed off their asses on 8 different kinds of pixie dust and a liter of goldschlager and get by just fine.
Good for them. Does that mean a majority of people should go to jail for driving sober because one person drove drunk, then?

Quote:
Does not mean everyone can, does not mean a majority of people can, does not mean that it's a good idea for you even if you can do it.
So I guess it's a bad idea for me to do things like math because not everybody can? Maybe I should go everywhere in a wheelchair because not everyone can walk?

Quote:
And saying "Pshh it's easy, I do it all the time, fuckin' cavemen yadda yadda" does not at all disprove any peer reviewed study that yields findings to the contrary.
Unlike you, my mouth, eyes, and hands function independent of each other. For example, I'm typing this response to you while watching Law & Order and having a conversation with my sister about how silly your logic behind statements like "drugs wouldn't be a problem if they were legal" is.

FYI, I never took part in any of these so-called studies, so none of them reflect me or my driving abilities. I represent me, not any "majority".