imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Swordfish941's Avatar
Swordfish941 Swordfish941 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fishers, Indiana
Posts: 3,228
Default Straw Dogs Remake

I need some help identifying some guns in the trailer for the Straw Dogs remake. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krZZabaC_U

It surprisingly looks good for a remake (which usually suck). And it has a great cast (James Marsden, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgård, Dominic Purcell, James Wood). Although I'd prefer if Elijah Wood and Evangeline Lily play David and Amy Summer and Charlie Hunnam play Charlie Venner.
__________________
Can we start with part where Jayne gets knocked out by 90-pound girl? Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Alan Tudyk), Serenity

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 767
Default

I like how you say it's a great cast, but then recast the main actors. I've never been a fan of Bosworth. Marsden's a good actor, I know a lot of people are bitching because they wanted a more wimpy Hoffman type. But I'm kinda of glad they didn't go that route. Picking someone that at least looks like he can give that big Swede a run for his money.

Your dream cast probably would have been okay, but we'll never know.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Swordfish941's Avatar
Swordfish941 Swordfish941 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fishers, Indiana
Posts: 3,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I like how you say it's a great cast, but then recast the main actors. I've never been a fan of Bosworth. Marsden's a good actor, I know a lot of people are bitching because they wanted a more wimpy Hoffman type. But I'm kinda of glad they didn't go that route. Picking someone that at least looks like he can give that big Swede a run for his money.

Your dream cast probably would have been okay, but we'll never know.
Okay. Now can you help me identify the guns, I'm not good with ID-ing hunting rifles.
__________________
Can we start with part where Jayne gets knocked out by 90-pound girl? Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Alan Tudyk), Serenity

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Okay. Now can you help me identify the guns, I'm not good with ID-ing hunting rifles.
Bolt actions aren't my thing either. Try here. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Bolt_Actio...porting_Models
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I like how you say it's a great cast, but then recast the main actors. I've never been a fan of Bosworth. Marsden's a good actor, I know a lot of people are bitching because they wanted a more wimpy Hoffman type. But I'm kinda of glad they didn't go that route. Picking someone that at least looks like he can give that big Swede a run for his money.

Your dream cast probably would have been okay, but we'll never know.
Back in the day Hoffman was a pretty fit guy. See Marathon Man. He was actually built like the Army Rangers and divisional LRSD (Long Range Surveillance Detachment) guys that I had contact with back in my Army days. Little wiry guys who run seven - ten miles everyday (or ruck 12 - 15 miles) and then do 600 push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Sure they lift weights, but they do so much cardio that their bodies don't get a chance to put on (and keep) big old muscle mass.

There has been many a little wimpy looking guy that has killed hundreds of enemy soldiers in combat. See Audie Murphy. Anyway that's the idea behind Straw Dogs. A civilized, educated man who doesn't have the genetic background of a caveman but who learns to tap the animal inside himself and actually becomes more of a monster that those that he is fighting. The character can't and shouldn't look like he hangs out at in the free weight room and the local Y.

I think that this famous quote by Nietsche applies to the movie.

"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Frederich Nietsche

Last edited by Jcordell; 09-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Back in the day Hoffman was a pretty fit guy. See Marathon Man. He was actually built like the Army Rangers and divisional LRSD (Long Range Surveillance Detachment) guys that I had contact with back in my Army days. Little wiry guys who run seven - ten miles everyday (or ruck 12 - 15 miles) and then do 600 push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Sure they lift weights, but they do so much cardio that their bodies don't get a chance to put on (and keep) big old muscle mass.

There has been many a little wimpy looking guy that has killed hundreds of enemy soldiers in combat. See Audie Murphy. Anyway that's the idea behind Straw Dogs. A civilized, educated man who doesn't have the genetic background of a caveman but who learns to tap the animal inside himself and actually becomes more of a monster that those that he is fighting. The character can't and shouldn't look like he hangs out at in the free weight room and the local Y.

I think that this famous quote by Nietsche applies to the movie.

"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Frederich Nietsche
I must have struck a chord with you, since I remember you saying you weren't that tall. I wasn't calling Hoffman himself a wimp. But his character in the film was very passive about things and avoided conflict. (It's been a while since I watched the original so my memory is lazy, so forgive me.) Had he been more assertive in the beginning, bad things wouldn't have happened later. But that wouldn't have been much of a movie. I get what you mean about smaller guys in the Army etc being well capable of taking care of themselves and could easily take out a larger untrained man. But in the film we're talking about a writer who mostly sits in chair (he may do some exercising who knows) going against a larger guy who works construction and so he's more physically active and capable. That's what I mean by I'm glad they didn't cast a smaller guy.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 918
Default

Okay you're right. I'm 5'6" and I sprung to the defense of one of my fellow Brothers of the Height without really thinking about what you wrote. I like to think that I'm above (or is that below) the whole sensitive about height thing, but now and and again I'm all too Human. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Ben41 Ben41 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Default Generation Kill

I just noticed that both Colbert and Trombley from Generation Kill are in this film. Weird.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.