imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
As do I, but knowing Hollywood, they'll try as hard as they can to turn it into another Green Zone.
I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.
Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies
I've seen that joke so many times its lost any of its funniness to me.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Then you are playing the wrong game if all you care about is guns. The MGS series of games is part awesome gunplay and action and part really intense story telling.
The gunplay in MGS isn't even that awesome. It's primarily a stealth game, so no matter how much attention to detail they put into the guns and animations you're going to spend the vast majority of the gameplay not shooting anything, and only occasionally popping a guard in the back of the head when nobody else is around. In between arcadey boss fights against people with nanomachine magic or power armor.

Note how I said "most of the gameplay." If I said "most of the game", that post would have been about how you spend most of it watching the game play itself. MGS4 is the only game I know of that not only has enough cutscenes to fill about 5 feature films, but will give you control for literally 5 seconds before going into another cutscene.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Honestly, that is the first time I've seen it in reference to anything, so I lol'ed a little bit.

Yeah, if Spielberg goes all angsty, hopefully it will be in regards to SOC Kyle and his personal life, which like most military families, had some rocky parts.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM

I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.
The man does run his own studio, and he's produced most of his own movies in the past decade. He also produced Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, for what it's worth.

He's had his misses, but I think he's a had a fairly good track record with war movies. I'm looking forward to renting Lincoln soon.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.
Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.
Hammond and Malcolm died in the book, and lived in the movie, so that's a tradeoff. And it'd kind of take away from the suspense if you could just shoot the dinosaurs wouldn't it? Halloween and Friday the 13th would've been over in minutes if Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees couldn't shrug off bullet wounds.

(BTW, there are FIFTY titles in the Spielberg category, and 24 of them are features directed by him. That is mind-blowing.)