imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I read about articles about other companies that made the short-stroke pistol idea after I was hyped about the 416, so after that, the 416 isn't the special anymore, I'd like to buy a rifle with that system but not pay the price H&K is putting out for it. You know how much the H&K is selling their civilian verison of their 416s and 417s?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Saw one in Edmonton today for $4500. Also played with an HK 45 - wasn't all that impressed, all the same complaints as the USP.

Problem with the USP Compact is that it's onlt got about a 3.5" barrel, and that's too short for a service pistol.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That's the point. It's a carry conceal weapon or backup, for a service pistol, you get a full size handgun

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Yes, but I was talking about a service pistol. I don't carry concealed, I carry at work.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Yes, but I was talking about a service pistol. I don't carry concealed, I carry at work.
But you guys are still mandated to carry the Browning HP, no? Out of curiosity, what do you think CF should adopt as its new service pistol? The XD?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone noticed what Larry claims about G3's recoil? That it's worse than that of other .308 battle rifles? I've fired an M1A and a DSA FAL (both owned by an uncle) and never noticed a difference between them and the PTR-91 I fired.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Maybe Larry has a weak shooting position and gets kicked back by the recoil.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Most carry the old Inglis Hi Power, MPs and Naval Boarding Parties are issued P225s, sometimes you see others carrying them as well. I actually don't think we should issue the XD, since the support for it just isn't there. There have been rumors for awhile of P226s, but the fact is that new pistols are just not a priority, nor should they be. Pistols don't win wars, and there are things we need far more that can.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Pistols might not win a fire fight in a war, but it sure helps to have the best sidearm you can get your hands on.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Most carry the old Inglis Hi Power, MPs and Naval Boarding Parties are issued P225s, sometimes you see others carrying them as well. I actually don't think we should issue the XD, since the support for it just isn't there. There have been rumors for awhile of P226s, but the fact is that new pistols are just not a priority, nor should they be. Pistols don't win wars, and there are things we need far more that can.
Actually, in the kinds of wars we fight nowadays, high-tech weaponry of any sort is generally of secondary importance to proper intel, but I guess that's another issue...

If the CF were holding trials for a new sidearm, what would you prefer? The P226 is definitely another good choice, but it's an aging design nowadays.