imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Making Props for SF Movies

If you were propmaster for a Science fiction movie, how would you create exotic weapons for use by actors?
For instance, if I were doing a film, I would dress up G36 rifles with the parts of a VCR to resemble a futuristic laser weapon. From space.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
If you were propmaster for a Science fiction movie, how would you create exotic weapons for use by actors?
For instance, if I were doing a film, I would dress up G36 rifles with the parts of a VCR to resemble a futuristic laser weapon. From space.
Well I am not sure what you are asking. How would I merge a G36 with a VCR? Or what does a propmaster do? Or WHO is the person who creates custom sci fi weapons?

Well.....

In major motion pictures, they have custom prop shops, like the HAND PROP ROOM or other places that employ 'model fabricators' and designers. These special effects artists come from the 'model building' side of the props business. They have skill in sculpting, molding, painting and do tons of custom items as well as electronics.

I held the Medical Tri-corders that were used in Star Trek Voyager and they were AMAZING! They cost $2000 each to build and had the most advanced programmable LED 'light shows' to date built within the unit. They were built by a 'model building' shop by artists who specialized in plastic fabrication and electronics.

ARMORERS are closer to gunsmiths than modelbuilders. Sure armorers can do custom guns/conversion/fixes/specialty accessories/specialty fittings/etc. but to create SCI FI looking parts requires plastics fabrication, Vacuforming or other model building disciplines, like plexiglass fab or other metalworking skills.

As for a PROPMASTER, usually that person is just the guy in charge of acquiring and administering all the PROPS in a film. In movies heavy with military or law enforcement details, you can have a tech advisor or separate the propmaster duties and have a dedicated propmaster who specializes in weapons/uniforms/gear/etc. or is also an armorer. But 99.99% of propmasters just deal with the mundane details like "bedsheets", "Dinner plates", "Paintings on the wall", "Chairs", etc.

In the world of small student/amateur films, you wear 20 or so hats, so the propmaster would probably BUILD all the specialty props for the film as well as be responsible for all the real world props as well.

Nowadays, the advent of CHEAP crappy airsoft guns (CYMA, etc) allows propmasters much greater freedom in creating fake sci wi weapons. Just being creative and the "ability to figure out what junk to glue on to it" is required.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

One thing I've always found funny about sci-fi movies from the late-80s and 90s is how they always have bullpup-type weapons, and those often pass for "futuristic" guns. Think how many action movies set in the future used to have Steyr AUGs, Mossberg 500 Bullpups, Calicos, Ruger Mini-14s in Muzzelite stocks, etc. Apparently, propmasters back then figured that in the future, everyone would be using bullpup long guns.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
One thing I've always found funny about sci-fi movies from the late-80s and 90s is how they always have bullpup-type weapons, and those often pass for "futuristic" guns. Think how many action movies set in the future used to have Steyr AUGs, Mossberg 500 Bullpups, Calicos, Ruger Mini-14s in Muzzelite stocks, etc. Apparently, propmasters back then figured that in the future, everyone would be using bullpup long guns.
Propmasters don't make the final call. The DIRECTOR makes the final call. I've had directors pick the DUMBEST thing on the planet because they (a) knew nothing about guns and (b) thought it was 'cool'. We can't argue with them. That's a fast track to the unemployment line.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Propmasters don't make the final call. The DIRECTOR makes the final call. I've had directors pick the DUMBEST thing on the planet because they (a) knew nothing about guns and (b) thought it was 'cool'. We can't argue with them. That's a fast track to the unemployment line.
So propmasters don't make the initial choices? I thought the director usually just "signs off", unless they're big into micromanaging (that or they're like Michael Mann and DO care exactly what types of guns their characters use).
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I've had directors pick the DUMBEST thing on the planet
like? I always get a laugh out of stupid directors, examples?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 AM

I think the question was what kind of futuristic weapon you would make. As in: were you to make a sci-fi movie, what would your ideal future guns look like?

I'd be cool with anything, as long as they didn't try to pass the Calico series off as laser rifles. Maybe I would build something off the Glock 17, since it seems like it would be easy to add a shell to. I actually like the look of that one .22 Select Fire pistol that was made to replace the .45 1911 but failed at it(surprise. Can't replace the 1911.)

Two things also bug me.
1: Shiny laser guns.
2: Really scratched up laser guns.
Both seem like they are far too extreme. Who issues their troopers with guns with the finish 80% off? The Rebels sure, but nobody else in their right mind.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
So propmasters don't make the initial choices? I thought the director usually just "signs off", unless they're big into micromanaging (that or they're like Michael Mann and DO care exactly what types of guns their characters use).
Some don't care. Depends on who you work with. But a good portion of them that I have worked with have asked for stupid guns, or at least didn't take the obviously cool choice. As far as bullpups, it was an easy fix for movies which had NO BUDGET to custom create guns. It takes quite a bit of preproduction $$ to hire someone to make a M590 Assault rifle or Morita Mark I. It is easier to trick out a MZ14 Muzzlelite stocked Ruger Mini14 (like in Space Rangers (1993)).

I remember in the 1990s, everyone wanted one of three guns, a Beretta 92FS, a Glock or an M1911A1. No other guns existed. Every subgun was an Uzi, Every assault rifle was an AK47 or M16. And yes, no other guns existed. And a lot of these people were adamant about wanting what they were familiar with, not with what was either correct or 'cool'.

Sorry, I've tried to push XDs on people with no success!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM

Please keep trying with the XD's MPM. I would like to see more, but it really isn't that striking a design for viewers or directors.
Of course, I don't mind seeing P99s, and would like more. Even thought that thing is as wide as a Peterbuilt.

Can't blame them with the bullpup. Bullpup rifles are cool and sexy.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

The new Taurus PT 45 looks kind of cool.