imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Something that bugs me is bad console conversions with no FOV settings. Like Crysis 2, which I was playing though yesterday. It's always annoyed me how big the guns appear in that game, so I figured I'd try to get the guns about the same size in screenshots from it and its predecessor and see what that got me.

And if anything I'm being too nice to Crysis 2 there because the SCAR is still bigger. Supposedly this is because console gamers sit on the other side of the room rather than in front of the monitor. Actually this is because they want to draw as little as possible to take the load off the hardware and made a halfassed PC conversion.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
And if anything I'm being too nice to Crysis 2 there because the SCAR is still bigger. Supposedly this is because console gamers sit on the other side of the room rather than in front of the monitor
I tend to sit dead center of my screen.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Playing through again I'm very much reminded of how dumb the plot is, especially given it was written by a professional sci-fi author with an absurdly high opinion of himself. Starting with claiming the US government could somehow cover up an incident which happened right in front of observers from the UN and China, had extensive radio coverage and debate, and ended with a nuclear strike and the loss of the KPA and US' entire taskforces and two whole carrier battlegroups with all hands. And thousands of alien gunships streaming away from the island in all directions. Apparently neither North Korea, the UN, the actual natives of the Lingshan Islands, or the families of any of the deceased servicemen cared to enquire what had happened and nobody cared why a nuclear strike was ordered or why a -200 degree sphere of absolute coldness appeared just beforehand

TL:DR: Richard K. Morgan is a hack.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Playing through again I'm very much reminded of how dumb the plot is, especially given it was written by a professional sci-fi author with an absurdly high opinion of himself. Starting with claiming the US government could somehow cover up an incident which happened right in front of observers from the UN and China, had extensive radio coverage and debate, and ended with a nuclear strike and the loss of the KPA and US' entire taskforces and two whole carrier battlegroups with all hands. And thousands of alien gunships streaming away from the island in all directions. Apparently neither North Korea, the UN, the actual natives of the Lingshan Islands, or the families of any of the deceased servicemen cared to enquire what had happened and nobody cared why a nuclear strike was ordered or why a -200 degree sphere of absolute coldness appeared just beforehand

TLR: Richard K. Morgan is a hack.
This is Crysis 2? I played a bit of Crysis 2, but I just couldn't get into it. I just remember fighting aliens in NYC. There must be a lot more game after that.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, Crysis 2. Though since it ignores the original's plot except for a few elements and it's tone completely and has a totally different feel, I'm tempted to say Crysis 2 is called Warhead.

Basically to get the plot to the most overused city setting on Earth they ignore almost everything that happened in the original; it's so bad that at one point later on they actually show a cutscene from the first game and lie to you about what's happening in it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Well, Aliens: Colonial Marines was released on PC with no executable file on Steam, and still doesn't have one in the UK it seems.

How in the world do you make a mistake like that?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Playing Aliens CM and I am writing this while the game is paused. The game is so bad, it couldn't hold my attention long enough before I had to pause and write about it.

It's cool that I could carry ALL the weapons in the game on me, but attachments can only be added if you unlock points which you get doing challenges.

The graphics are horrible. I mean, these look like the graphics from the Alpha images we got a look at over a year ago! Everything looks very dated.

Why are we shooting at people? The purpose of an Aliens game is that we shoot at Aliens, which means mostly Xenos and occasionally a Predator here to do a crossover. We get to shoot at people?

I can't even begin with the story...

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Playing Aliens CM and I am writing this while the game is paused. The game is so bad, it couldn't hold my attention long enough before I had to pause and write about it.

It's cool that I could carry ALL the weapons in the game on me, but attachments can only be added if you unlock points which you get doing challenges.

The graphics are horrible. I mean, these look like the graphics from the Alpha images we got a look at over a year ago! Everything looks very dated.

Why are we shooting at people? The purpose of an Aliens game is that we shoot at Aliens, which means mostly Xenos and occasionally a Predator here to do a crossover. We get to shoot at people?

I can't even begin with the story...
Seven years and that's the best they could do?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM

I just got it, and half of my pre-order bonus codes don't work

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM

I just gibbed a We-Yu merc with Gorman's VP70. I don't see how that works

http://www.introvertisland.com