imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

I heard he fires 15 shots at a time, but I've never seen the movie.

I've heard Appaloosa is realistic but I need to watch it first.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Snow_crash

I love film's with realistic shoot-outs... I really end up appreciating them more. No Country for Old Men has it's moments of semi-realism. Letters from Iwo Jima was a great war film where the guns sounded loud and fairly unflattering. The Assassination of Jesse James was pretty realistic for a film in a Western setting (though i don't really think of it as a western), the part where the two guys miss each other consistently at a close range is particularly memorable. Unforgiven was fairly realistic until the end, although i've argued about this with people on the IMDB forum, i still reckon that even if Clint's character could've taken on 5 or so guys because of his experience and cold-heartedness he probably still wouldn't take the risk. I'd also like to know of any other films with realistic firefights
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
And I believe it was Guns & Ammo or some other magazine that thought Arnie's gun handling was good in the Terminator, though it didn't impress me much.
It was "Soldier of Fortune" that complimented him. I'm assuming they were referring only to the scene where he's in the gun store picking out the weapons and then trying them out. If they'd seen the rest of the movie (i.e. firing an AR-18 and SPAS-12 akimbo in the police station), I can't imagine they would have said anything so ridiculous.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

One movie I don't recommend is The Marine, I just bought that to screencap for the site, and it is ridiculously unreal. Apparently you can stop a hail of Uzi and CAR-15 fire by simply holding a bullet proof vest up with ONE HAND! Insanely dumb.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 AM

I didn't think Heat was realistic.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, when Shiherlis doesn't reload until he spits out about 100 rounds, that is a little off, but keep in mind, practically NO films had used realistic gun fire that was loud and echoed (or didn't indoors, another important thing). Also note, people hardly hit anything during the bank shootout, as opposed to action movies where a guy with two guns flies around blowing away everyone he sees.

If I ever make a movie (doubtful though), my first mission would be to accomplish the most realistic gun film ever, with Heat as inspiration.

Never ask too much from movies gun-wise, you'll always be disapointed.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
It was "Soldier of Fortune" that complimented him. I'm assuming they were referring only to the scene where he's in the gun store picking out the weapons and then trying them out. If they'd seen the rest of the movie (i.e. firing an AR-18 and SPAS-12 akimbo in the police station), I can't imagine they would have said anything so ridiculous.
Not necessarily ridiculous. SOF (from what I remember) during the interview with Cameron noted that the Terminator was holding the weapons like they weighed nothing, indicative that the Terminator was super strong and not human. Also the article mentioned that Cameron had filmed the Terminator working on his guns (i.e. parts on the table) implying that he was converting the AR-180 to full auto fire in the hotel room. The only remaining shot was a scene where the audience can see some parts on the table. There was some thought (or Cameron made up some good excuses) for the gun unrealism
Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

I like to think Terminators have no felt recoil, just so the movie seems more realistic. It'd be cooler if there was a special recoil adjustment system in their wrists so they could fire guns like Glocks without them jamming, but no film writer thinks that deep into it.

I'd like to see a Terminator fire a Browning M2HB with one out stretched arm! All it would take is some wire work but man would it show how impressive they are.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I like to think Terminators have no felt recoil, just so the movie seems more realistic. It'd be cooler if there was a special recoil adjustment system in their wrists so they could fire guns like Glocks without them jamming, but no film writer thinks that deep into it.

I'd like to see a Terminator fire a Browning M2HB with one out stretched arm! All it would take is some wire work but man would it show how impressive they are.
Browning M2HB... what would they grab on to, if firing with only one hand? If they grabbed one of the spade grips, it would surely rip off from the weight of the rest of the gun.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Hmmm, good point. I guess 120lbs is too much for the grips. It's still cool to picture though... Image wielding two none the less!