imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 AM

Default Why I hate the original G.I. Joe animated series

One of my most uncomfortable childhood memories is the 1985 G.I. Joe animated series. Sure there are laser rifles in the show, but what ticked me off then is that REAL-WORLD weapons like the M16 and AK-47 rifles, the 1911A1 pistol and a silenced sniper rifle with night scope all shoot LASERS in the show's entire 94-episode run! I was shocked that use this type of censorship (The Transformers cartoon also has M16s shooting lasers) that my mind was confused to the edge of human tolerance.

I soon watched Red Dawn on TV and I thought the AKMs there were laser rifles, yet they shoot real bullets. It was then I dedicated myself to the interest of guns in the movies. No thanks to this atrocity that is G.I. Joe.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well the thing is that cartoons have always done than. I remember cartoons like the X-men and Spiderman in the 90s with cops shooting laser weapons. Now today, we see them shoot guns with bullets, but it's all about the level of exposure to kids because it still is a kid show.

This goes for any movies that are supposed to be viewed by kids, the makers don't want to expose the kids to "that" kind of violence.

A bad movie but good example is The Pacifier with Vin Diesel where his character is a trained SEAL who is now a Babysitter. At the beginning of the movie NONE of his fellow SEALs including him were armed when they were on a mission, he was not seen with a weapon at all in the entire movie until the end and even then he didn't shoot it. When the assassins attacked, they didnt use their guns but batons. You can tell that aside from the end, guns really played no role at all aside from tension or resolving the plot.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 04-22-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The original five parter, the MASS device, had firearms. The used the same models as the later episodes, but without the lasers.

What I always thought was weird was that some of the toys had specific laser troopers, like Flash, Sci Fi, and the Laser Viper, while in the cartoon, everyone used lasers.

And really, THIS is what bothered you the most about the original GI Joe series? Not the fact that no one died, or that everyone chose to parachute out of their planes before they were even hit, or that Duke and Flint openly fraternized with their subordinates, or that for some crazy reason, Destro, despite being smarter, stronger and more competent than Cobra Commander, still took orders from him? (When I first started watching the series, before I understood enough English, I actually thought that Destro WAS the boss.)
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The original five parter, the MASS device, had firearms. The used the same models as the later episodes, but without the lasers.

What I always thought was weird was that some of the toys had specific laser troopers, like Flash, Sci Fi, and the Laser Viper, while in the cartoon, everyone used lasers.

And really, THIS is what bothered you the most about the original GI Joe series? Not the fact that no one died, or that everyone chose to parachute out of their planes before they were even hit, or that Duke and Flint openly fraternized with their subordinates, or that for some crazy reason, Destro, despite being smarter, stronger and more competent than Cobra Commander, still took orders from him? (When I first started watching the series, before I understood enough English, I actually thought that Destro WAS the boss.)
Nah, is just one thing that bothers me, but I'm also bothered by the points you've given out as well (zero body count, magic parachutes, etc.). Thanks for pointing that out. I'd rather like to watch Transformers since their weapons exactly hit each other.

Tags
cartoon, censorship, television