imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Your Big Game hunting weapon

I've been studying about big game hunters in the late 19th and early 20th centuary that would go to foriegn countries and hunting beasts like lions and tigers and bears (Oh My!). Now imagine yourself in that period when PETA and those pain-in-the-ass animal rights activists didn't exsist. Now you must decide what animal you want to hunt and which two weapons you would choose to hunt it (remember, it has to be made that period, no modern day weapons).

I would hunt gazelle since they're like deer expect faster and they have goofier horns. Wouldn't take my chance with a lion because it would probaly maul me, mutaliated me, or kill me. My first weapon would be a sporterized Mauser 1896/38 rifle fitted with double set triggers, a flat "butterknife" style bolt handle, and a Lyman peep sight. It would also be fitted with a sling with a bandoiler of bullets built into it. My second weapon would be a Henry 1860 rifle fitted with an elongated scope.

NOTE: I've created this thread out of the failure of my desert island scenario one. I thought this would be much more intresting.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 PM

I want to hunt terrorists with an m1a/scope combo and harris bipod.......

Actually, for big game Id like to hunt Lions, hunting a predator would be cool. Id just make sure I had a good guide and some friends with me. I think a Marlin 1895 full sized and a Super redhawk would be a good combo.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM

M1903A4 and something sleek and stealthy---like a panther or cheetah.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-25-2009, 05:20 AM

I would take a Rigby built bolt action in .416 Rigby* and a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun. I would be hunting such nice animals as leopard and Cape Buffelo.

*the round is made for killing dangerous big game in Africa.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Bears with a BAR (haha). Just kidding. I would hunt bears with a German made double rifle in a large caliber or with a Holland and Holland rifle

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-25-2009, 05:12 PM

I certainly have an interest in a classical African safary hunting, and most espescially the rifles that were used.

I'd hunt the Big 5 ideally, but lion or cape buffalo if I could only go with one. I'd use a proper British double rifle in .470 Nitro Express - probably a Westley-Richards, but a Holland & Holland or a Purdey would be just fine too. A bolt action Lee-Speed in .303 as a backup / medium game rifle to put meat on the table.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I want to hunt terrorists with an m1a/scope combo and harris bipod.......

Actually, for big game Id like to hunt Lions, hunting a predator would be cool. Id just make sure I had a good guide and some friends with me. I think a Marlin 1895 full sized and a Super redhawk would be a good combo.
You need extreme patience to hunt lions, most hunters have to stalk and study there patterns for weeks before they can safely and precisely kill one.

While the chance of it ever happening is astronomical, it'd be cool to get the chance to hunt a Tyrannosaurus Rex. But that's just my crazy imagination. With a super thick skull a shot to the eye is the safest bet, but it'd likely be difficult to make such a shot when fear makes your hands shake too much to aim.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:48 AM

Id hunt T Rex with AT4s, screw rifles.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Please, not satisfying enough. One hit and boom, you get a lot of chunks all over the place. Too messy for a T-Rex. I'd use an M82 with incendiary rounds. Make a big hole and burn at the same time.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-26-2009, 03:45 PM

The m82 might not cut it, you are hunting big, dangerous game.
a trex is 40 feet long and weighs 6-7 tons. Got thick skin and big teeth.