imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default CZ 75 original

I keep hearing about the first model CZ 75 and how accurate it is because of the material used to make it and I heard they dont make these old models anymore

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

It wouldn't surprise me that the first versions were the best. A designer makes the gun with excellent craftsmenship and the best steel he/she can, and then gives the design to a manufacturer. Eventually they get cheap, make it with not-as-good quality, use cheaper materials, and so on.

This has been happening for 100s of years. Look at the Winchester 1894. The guns built by Winchester before they closed sucked. The action is sloppy, and the gun isn't built very well. Back in 1894 when the Browning brothers built it, it was as smooth and well built as the 1892. They cheapened the 92 as well, but it still maintained a lot of its good traits.

Gun manufacturers tend to be greedy cheap bastards in the end. Just ask S&W, SIG, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, Colt, and all the other companies releasing uglier, lower quality guns for higher pay these days
Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Gun manufacturers tend to be greedy cheap bastards in the end. Just ask S&W, SIG, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, Colt, and all the other companies releasing uglier, lower quality guns for higher pay these days
I hear that. If you want quality, a lot of the time you have to get an older version of the same product, which in the end will yield a smaller price, better quality, and overall better enthusiasm over your product. There are exceptions, but not a lot I can think of right now.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

Yeah. Any gun today that can even come close to matching original quality is way too expensive. Now that Colt's back in business, they manufacture their guns with the same equipment they used to use, giving the guns original specification. Except in original specification, the SAA cost $20, not $1,020.

Hell, you could buy an original in good condition for that price.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM

When did Winchester go out of business? I though they still made guns?

Anyway, I think Colt still makes guns that aren't cheap pieces of crap. Let's just hope that they continue like that.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

No, I believe they closed shop quite a few years ago.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Winchester and Colt both have websites where they advertise their products and have MSRPs. I don't think they are out of business.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Hey, i never said Colt went out of business.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Winchester went out of business in 1980. The US Repeating Firearms Co made guns under the Winchester name from 1981-2006. In 2008 Browning took up the mantle and now Model 70s are being made at the FN-USA plant. Colt's been in business since 1847, but they've been pretty much marginalized since the 80s due to some very bad business decisions.

Last edited by Nyles; 08-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Ruger is improving which stands out. Under Bill ruger they were sucking up to liberals and not caring much about the customer. He even supported clinton ban. Now ruger makes Ar-15s and fsactory 20 rounders for mini 14s, the LCP is the best selling handgun in america, and who knows, maybe theyll even make accurate bolt guns soon.