imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default S&W

I'm one of those who prefer their revolvers. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 14 Target model, it's an excellent piece.

The only Smith & Wesson auto I own is a Model 39 with pearl grips. It's a nice gun but single stack 9mm is pretty poor for the time and it won't fire with the magazine removed. I've seen at least 10 action movies where such a gun would leave you totally screwed.

I wan't to buy a 5906 and a 4506 eventually.

I'm afraid out of Colt, Glock, Beretta, SIG-Sauer and S&W, it isn't that hard to see which gun is on the short end of the stick.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
The only Smith & Wesson auto I own is a Model 39 with pearl grips. It's a nice gun but single stack 9mm is pretty poor for the time and it won't fire with the magazine removed. I've seen at least 10 action movies where such a gun would leave you totally screwed.
They're all like that, aren't they? I know that if I drop the mag in my 4506 and pull the trigger (in either SA or DA), I get no hammer fall. Don't think I've seen a Smith auto that doesn't do that. Good thing life isn't like the movies (usually)..

I'd have my folks sell you mine (it's still back at my parents' house, along with the AK and the rest of my dad's gun collection). I wanted to sell it before I bought the P226, but never got around to it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Well here are a few of mine. Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman (.357 magnum). The two grey ones I had parkarized and then coated with teflon. Very strong finishes. I left one blued.
Oh man those parked revolvers are gorgeous!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

BTW, so for those who haven't seen it, here is the pic of my P226 I took for my profile:

Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Eh, I respect 'em. Unfortunately, the only Smith auto I own is a 4506, and I've just never been able to enjoy it that much. It's just too big. As far as the "greatness" goes, they do what they do well and are very nicely priced. They don't quite have that stylishness and mystique that their Euro counterparts tend to have.

I became a SIG P226 owner recently. I understand (from reading your profile) that you think the 5906 is the P226's equal in most ways - except cost?
They're reminiscent of eachother. They're both full sized guns, yet are shorter than most, they work no matter what you do to 'em, they're combat accurate, and just plain sexy.

S&W has different models within models too, mine has the round trigger guard, the round butt xenoy grips and the low mount Novak 3 dot sights. You can change the grips, or get a model with adjustable or post sights, and the famous square trigger guard. Their first and second generation guns also have noteworthy trigger reset and fine tuning you won't find in a modern day 3rd gen, or most other double action pistols,and at 3-400 bucks average, it's a great buy.

As far as the magazine disconnect goes, it can't leave you screwed if you reload right. Have your new magazine ready before you drop your original one, and you'll only have a split second of "safe gun". If you're completely out too, what's it matter? Also, if you hold the trigger just close enough to keep the gun from going off, but to leave the action in tact, you can fire it with the mag out. I'm also pretty sure there's some minor smithing that will allow you to disable it as well. It's not a weakness, just a feature.

I drool over the 4506 after working with a S&W auto. The child of the 39 and the 1911, it seems like it'd be a fantastic gun.

Oh and a fine SIG, MT, fine indeed.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
They're reminiscent of eachother. They're both full sized guns, yet are shorter than most, they work no matter what you do to 'em, they're combat accurate, and just plain sexy.
For me, it's ergonomics that are the issue. Smiths have the same style slide-mounted safety/decocker as the Beretta, which I don't really like, as I can't reach it with my thumb without shifting my grip. What I've always liked about SIGs is that they have the decocker in the most convenient place possible. For me, a good pistol should have all controls within instant reach of my thumb. Not sure if that makes the SIG worth the $300 more it costs over the 5906, but it is what I prefer.

As far as "sexiness" goes, I dunno. I don't think either of them are particularly sleek or distinctive-looking in appearance (compared to the 92F, anyway), but the P226 has a kind of rugged handsomeness that the 5906 doesn't have for me.

Quote:
Oh and a fine SIG, MT, fine indeed.
Touche.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 AM

In response to the slide mounted safety, disengagging requires no hand adjustment, even for a small handed guy like me, and engaging it in a heated situation isn't necessary as you're just trying to shoot, so from a practical standpoint it's not a problem. I will definitely agree though that the P226 is still superior ergonomically sheerly because the slide stop and mag release, along with the aforementioned decocker are placed almost perfectly for use without adjustment.

Another point I'd like to make though, is that the 5906 is entirely stainless steel, and with the xenoy grips, you don't have to be embarassed with a brown backstrap as a lot of guns gather over time. The added weight from the material also aids in felt recoil when shooting. Most charge extra for a stainless steel model too, including SIG, but the gun is still cheap, and it'll still shoot well, even with hollow points.

I'm not trying to diss your gun and tell every SIG owner to throw their gun away and go buy a Smith, but don't discount it cause it may not look handsome (I think it looks awesome) or it's a little ergonomically unsound (some 1911 slide stops are short, but they're still 1911s, and still great guns.) They deserve far more credit than given, is all I'm trying to say.

Oh and you have a 4506 up for grabs? Which features does it have?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
In response to the slide mounted safety, disengagging requires no hand adjustment, even for a small handed guy like me, and engaging it in a heated situation isn't necessary as you're just trying to shoot, so from a practical standpoint it's not a problem. I will definitely agree though that the P226 is still superior ergonomically sheerly because the slide stop and mag release, along with the aforementioned decocker are placed almost perfectly for use without adjustment.

Another point I'd like to make though, is that the 5906 is entirely stainless steel, and with the xenoy grips, you don't have to be embarassed with a brown backstrap as a lot of guns gather over time. The added weight from the material also aids in felt recoil when shooting. Most charge extra for a stainless steel model too, including SIG, but the gun is still cheap, and it'll still shoot well, even with hollow points.

I'm not trying to diss your gun and tell every SIG owner to throw their gun away and go buy a Smith, but don't discount it cause it may not look handsome (I think it looks awesome) or it's a little ergonomically unsound (some 1911 slide stops are short, but they're still 1911s, and still great guns.) They deserve far more credit than given, is all I'm trying to say.

Oh and you have a 4506 up for grabs? Which features does it have?
Hmmm, really? Not sure I'd say I have very big hands, but I do have pretty long fingers. I can handle DA trigger pulls on guns that most other people can't, even the USP series (which has a really long, stiff DA pull). But I still don't like slide-mounted safeties. The Beretta is at least a bit short, but Smiths are pretty tall. I know from experience that I just cannot reach the decocker on my 4506 without shifting my grip.

I definitely wouldn't "discount" Smiths exactly. I respect their ruggedness and affordability. And SIGs are, frankly, overpriced for what you get. But I just like the way they fit my hand better than Smiths. It really comes down to that for me.

As far as my 4506 being "up for grabs", it isn't exactly because I don't have it on me at the moment. I moved to Texas a few months ago and didn't bring any of the guns I have at my parents' house, including the 4506. I would have my dad sell it, but he's Internet-averse when it comes to buying/selling.

But I really would like to sell it. It just isn't for me and I never use it.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to buy it either. I could trade at best but that'd be it. It's real high on my wish list though. What features are on it, though? Trigger guard, grips, sights, what?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't be able to buy it either. I could trade at best but that'd be it. It's real high on my wish list though. What features are on it, though? Trigger guard, grips, sights, what?
It has the rounded trigger guard, Novak three-dot sight, can't remember grip type.