imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default What a moron.... Stuntman killed by shotgun 'blank'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...t-dead-9680866

Quote:
Johann Ofner, 28, was accidentally killed while filming a scene for a music video for Australian hip-hop group Bliss n Eso
Apparently they used a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun with full load blanks and shot a stuntman from 6 feet away. MORONS. A full shotgun load blank is dangerous out to 5 meters away!

This was sheer stupidity on the set, nothing else!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It's called Natural Selection by Darwin

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It's called Natural Selection by Darwin
Unfortunately, I suspect in this case the one that should have been "selected" was not the stuntman.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Unfortunately, I suspect in this case the one that should have been "selected" was not the stuntman.
ditto, not the deceased stuntman's fault as far as I can tell from the article.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:08 PM

That's too bad. My deepest sympathies go out to the man's family.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Reminds me of the death of actor Jon-Erik Hexum.

From Wikipedia:

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional real gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15*p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.
Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion, so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.

Hexum died six days later. He never came out of his coma. I remember when that happened. I was sixteen at the time and had no idea that blank rounds could be dangerous. I was genuinely shocked at the time.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Reminds me of the death of actor Jon-Erik Hexum.

From Wikipedia:

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional real gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15*p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.
Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion, so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.

Hexum died six days later. He never came out of his coma. I remember when that happened. I was sixteen at the time and had no idea that blank rounds could be dangerous. I was genuinely shocked at the time.
I was thinking about doing a page for Cover Up, since it's only one season and frankly, seemed to be a ludicrous premise for a series, even for the eighties. But unfortunately, like a lot of short-lived series from the era, this was never released on DVD.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I got into watching it when it aired, but I was sixteen and my taste in television shows wasn't the greatest back then.