imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
you know what they say about guys with big hands right?

.....big guns fit perfectly in them!
Also, we can crush other people's hands if we aren't careful when we give handshakes

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 06-14-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
You know what? I'm sort of pissed that the 4506 isn't in movies very often. And when it is, it's just about always used by a random thug (except for in Street Kings and Training Day)
Don't forget The Shield.

Since it's discontinued you won't see much of it. The only time you'll see the 4506 is in an LAPD film, you also get to see your favorite gun the Beretta.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
don't forget the shield.

Since it's discontinued you won't see much of it. The only time you'll see the 4506 is in an lapd film, you also get to see your favorite gun the beretta.
That makes me want to do this: RAAAAGE!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Don't forget The Shield.

Since it's discontinued you won't see much of it. The only time you'll see the 4506 is in an LAPD film, you also get to see your favorite gun the Beretta.
That definitely isn't the reason. Look how many movies still use the Beretta 92F, and 2nd Gen Glocks, and German-made SIG 226s/228s. How often do you see those guns used in the real world anymore? Armorers often don't have the most up-to-date weapons in their armories, for reasons that MPM explained.

I think that if nothing else, the 4506 is likely to be rare because armorers tend to use 9mm pistols so often. As Steve has explained elsewhere, the Beretta's popularity is because (1.) it's a 9mm, and (2.) it's one of the most reliable pistols with blank rounds.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
That definitely isn't the reason. Look how many movies still use the Beretta 92F, and 2nd Gen Glocks, and German-made SIG 226s/228s. How often do you see those guns used in the real world anymore? Armorers often don't have the most up-to-date weapons in their armories, for reasons that MPM explained.

I think that if nothing else, the 4506 is likely to be rare because armorers tend to use 9mm pistols so often. As Steve has explained elsewhere, the Beretta's popularity is because (1.) it's a 9mm, and (2.) it's one of the most reliable pistols with blank rounds.
And 3). It looks nice

Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
And 3). It looks nice
Looked nice, 20 years ago. Now it looks outdated. It still gets used mostly for the two reasons I mentioned.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Looked nice, 20 years ago. Now it looks outdated. It still gets used mostly for the two reasons I mentioned.
It's still a nice looking gun. I probably would buy one if it weren't for the whole "too fragile for the Navy SEALs" and "everyone I know who owns/had to carry one hates it"

Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

I walked into that.

What I meant since it's discontinued. No real Police departments, would now adopt it. Even though films rarely get such and such department sidearms right anyway.

Also the Beretta 92FS is still in production, so is the SIG P226 and Glock 17. Prop houses can still buy them to replace their worn out or broken ones.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM

Whether or not the Beretta looks nice is up to individuals, but it's still very iconic and most peopel can recognize one if it's on screen.

You do know someone who owns a Beretta and likes it, me, and Matt sort of counts as he had a PT92 and liked it too. They aren't perfect but they are good pistols and fun shooters. They aren't perfect but there isn't anything majorly worng with them, the opinions of any headstrong bashers (military included) be damned. Military types have American made Berettas with American made non-factory magazines that have been used over and over again, in other words, the worst of the worst Berettas, and for every one guy you can find that hates one, I can find a dozen that love, or are at least content with theirs.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
It's still a nice looking gun. I probably would buy one if it weren't for the whole "too fragile for the Navy SEALs" and "everyone I know who owns/had to carry one hates it"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
You do know someone who owns a Beretta and likes it, me, and Matt sort of counts as he had a PT92 and liked it too.
...what YNH said. I had a Taurus PT92 that was 20 years old and functioned flawlessly, even with reloaded ammo. I'm curious to know how many people you've talked to that hate Berettas. That's not to say I don't know people who hate the M9, but they tend to be folks who think the military should have never abandoned .45 ACP, so they're discriminating against the Beretta for its caliber, not its design.

Also, I don't know what you're on about with Berettas being "fragile". They're not as durable as Glocks, but they're about as rugged as any all-metal handgun should be. The SEALs ditched the Beretta because its slide retention device was not strong enough to handle higher-pressure ammo than recommended. I don't have a problem with them using SIGs, but I also don't think the Beretta sucks just because it didn't meet a requirement specific to them. After all, what they need isn't necessarily what everyone else needs. (and besides, the 92FS, which replaced the original 92F that the SEALs rejected, has a fixed slide retention device.)

If the Beretta really sucks so much, I doubt it would have passed the XM9 trial (and I should point that one of its competitors was S&W's modified 459).

Last edited by MT2008; 06-19-2010 at 02:55 PM.