imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

At least China is not using AKs anymore. But I was watching a chinese military channel episode, promoting the QBZ 95s. Since it's propaganda, I wanted to see how the chinese promotes their stuff. There was a test where a soldier dunk it in water, like it's trying to over the beach test.

The problem was that all the guy did was dunk the rifle empty, no round in the chamber, and held it down for a few seconds, then took it out, and shook it a bit, obviously draining all the water and taking his sweet time. Then loading and cocking. Then taking his sweet time to aim and firing a shot. All that time gave the rifle more time to drain the water. If it was a true test, he would have chambered a round, mag in and fired immediately after taking the rifle out.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Neither the Type 56 nor the Type 84 was being imported to the U.S. at the time that MASH was on the air. The Valmets, on the other hand, started coming to this country in the late-70s, so they would've been available.

That's how the Chinese used AKs for most of the 1960s, too - they classified their AKs as the Type 56 submachine gun, which implies it was meant to be issued only to squad leaders. Their SKS copy was called the Type 56 carbine, and was the standard-issue to most PLA soldiers.
The idea that semi-automatic rifles would suffice for most soldiers and that only certain troops would use Kalashnikov rifles persisted in China until the 1979 Sino-Vietnamese War. The fact that the Kalashnikov-equipped Vietnamese outgunned the PLA in many engagements forced the Chinese to revise their doctrines and remove their Type 56 carbines from frontline service; it also initiated the development of the Type 81 rifle as a replacement.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
At least China is not using AKs anymore. But I was watching a chinese military channel episode, promoting the QBZ 95s. Since it's propaganda, I wanted to see how the chinese promotes their stuff. There was a test where a soldier dunk it in water, like it's trying to over the beach test.

The problem was that all the guy did was dunk the rifle empty, no round in the chamber, and held it down for a few seconds, then took it out, and shook it a bit, obviously draining all the water and taking his sweet time. Then loading and cocking. Then taking his sweet time to aim and firing a shot. All that time gave the rifle more time to drain the water. If it was a true test, he would have chambered a round, mag in and fired immediately after taking the rifle out.
Ehm... the Argentinian Army tested those rifles a couple of years ago. According to the Army, it "didn´t meet the basic requirements", and according to the soldiers that tested them, "it was a piece of junk".
Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Seeing combat weapons get dunked in the water is a "test" that's become so cliche that I'm starting to doubt it means anything about the gun's reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
The idea that semi-automatic rifles would suffice for most soldiers and that only certain troops would use Kalashnikov rifles persisted in China until the 1979 Sino-Vietnamese War. The fact that the Kalashnikov-equipped Vietnamese outgunned the PLA in many engagements forced the Chinese to revise their doctrines and remove their Type 56 carbines from frontline service; it also initiated the development of the Type 81 rifle as a replacement.
Interesting, though it certainly explains why PLA troops carrying SKS seem so common in pictures from that conflict (what few I've seen). The Vietnamese Army was modeled on that of the Soviet Union (they had more Soviet advisers than Chinese advisers, even before the Sino-Vietnamese split), so that's probably why they adopted the doctrine of assault rifles as standard-issue before the Chinese ever did.

Last edited by MT2008; 06-13-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Many movies have stupid gun choices, like, a SIG/Glock/Beretta is a good sidearm, but it shouldnt be used for countersniping or fighting say, a heavily armored SWAT team.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Many movies have stupid gun choices, like, a SIG/Glock/Beretta is a good sidearm, but it shouldnt be used for countersniping or fighting say, a heavily armored SWAT team.
I hate it when they give Berettas to people who have no business using them, like guys from Delta, old police officers, badasses, NYPD officers, SF soldiers, Navy SEALS, Marine Force Recon, etc

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM

I hate how overused they are in movies. Also, i ahte them in real life (they dont fit my hand, the tang is actually putting a pressure point on my thumb.)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I hate how overused they are in movies. Also, i ahte them in real life (they dont fit my hand, the tang is actually putting a pressure point on my thumb.)
Well I have kinda big hands, so 92Fs do fit ok in my hand, but it is still kinda beefy to me. I prefer something with more slim down grip. The XDs have really good grips

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well I have kinda big hands, so 92Fs do fit ok in my hand, but it is still kinda beefy to me. I prefer something with more slim down grip. The XDs have really good grips
I have found that the S&W 4506 fits my hand perfectly. In fact, I'm more accurate with it than I am with an M1911

You know what? I'm sort of pissed that the 4506 isn't in movies very often. And when it is, it's just about always used by a random thug (except for in Street Kings and Training Day)

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 06-14-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM

you know what they say about guys with big hands right?

.....big guns fit perfectly in them!