imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Corona, George Floyd and riots

Venting here.

Anger, frustration and disbelief. I and many other officers work hard at our jobs. We do the work within legal and ethical boundaries and work at connecting with members of our local communities. Then in just eight minutes it’s all thrown out of the window. It’s just exhausting and disappointing. I’ve been an officer for twenty years and, right now, I’m ready to retire. I’d turn in my papers tomorrow, but I can’t afford to that. So I will continue to do the work and hope that at least some of our younger officers (who have not yet been set in their ways) will learn from what has happened and adjust their behavior and tactics. I'm well aware of the many issues involved, but the police do the job in a fishbowl and we need to adjust how we do the work accordingly. All the armchair quarterbacks can do all the critiquing they want, but I and other officers are the ones who have to do the work. Those four officers in Minneapolis screwed up and that's all there is to it.

It's like we're living in some type of half-hearted ripoff of "The Stand". We have a highly contagious virus that is causing all types of disruption (though far removed from the death toll of Captain Trips), riots in our cities with outside agitators getting involved (see Randall Flagg) and cops and soldiers wearing protective masks and riot-gear firing flash-bangs, pepper-pellets, rubber-bullets and CS grenades at rioters and protesters. But we aren't getting Randall Flagg, Mother Abigail or 99.4% of the Human Race dying off. So some of the worst aspects of the story without any of the end of world, good battling evil aspects. Just stupidity, violence and destruction.

I really wish I could afford to retire. However I can't and this isn't the first time my morale has been in the dumps and it won't be the last time.

Last edited by Jcordell; 05-31-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 PM

This isn't about George Floyd's death anymore. The cop who killed him has been arrested and charged, which is what the protesters wanted, isn't it? So why haven't they stopped? Because now it's just about thugs and anarchists sowing chaos and disorder, that's why. I mean, I'm sure you saw the story about three cops beaten and dragged around by "protesters". If not, here it is. I can honestly say I now have no qualms about flashbangs, pepper balls, and tear gas being used on these thugs because they have it coming.

I haven't seen The Stand in years, so it rather brings to my mind the social unrest that preceded the fall of society in Mad Max's world. Somebody on another website even told me that all this was simply "Democracy at work." Can you believe that?
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead

Last edited by Spartan198; 05-31-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
…...Somebody on another website even told me that all this was simply "Democracy at work." Can you believe that?
Some people confuse anarchy with democracy. Yes I believe it.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM

I wonder, have any of those idiots getting rowdy around the White House bothered to consider that breaching those gates will end with them getting mowed down by Secret Service CAT agents with M4s?
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Old 06-01-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I’ve been an officer for twenty years and, right now, I’m ready to retire.
It's hard right now, but there are many who still appreciate your service and the service of others like you.

According to the New York Times, the Minneapolis police department has been troubled for a while now. I don't know just how far the rot runs or if the NYT's assessment is completely correct, but what it describes is typical of a department that was just waiting to fall into controversy.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 PM

I stand with you and all the good ones, too, Jcordell.

If they had any common sense, anyone still desiring peaceful protests should and will have gone home and disassociated themselves since their cause has been hijacked by extremists.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Mazryonh
Quote:
According to the New York Times, the Minneapolis police department has been troubled for a while now. I don't know just how far the rot runs or if the NYT's assessment is completely correct, but what it describes is typical of a department that was just waiting to fall into controversy.
I am aware of past incidents involving the MPF. I guess that's one of the things that angers me. They've known (Minneapolis) for the past few years that they've had issues and yet the agency still authorizes the neck technique even though it's dangerous and looks like hell to the public. The bosses know things are edgy and yet they didn't get rid of that technique. Why? Now that is just one small thing, but it makes one wonder.

Last edited by Jcordell; 06-01-2020 at 11:56 PM.