imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
A scope for a shotgun even if it's slug is useless. A slug does not have the range to require a scope. A red dot maybe or just better irons.
A slug, going out of a smooth barrel has a range of ~50 yards. A slug going out of a rifled barrel can range from 80-100 yards, depending on the quality of the gun firing it and the ammunition used.

I know for a fact what you're saying is wrong, because I live in a shotgun-only hunting region, where scoped slug guns DOMINATE in the hunter's market. I myself personally use a Browning A-Bolt with a 3-9x scope using Lightfield Sabot slugs, and have taken deer at 80+ yards before, without adjusting for drop. While an A-Bolt is one of the most accurate shotguns you can (or rather could) buy, even a semi-auto slug gun can do decently at those ranges.

In fact, my craziest story to tell you is last season, using a smoothbore Browning A5 16 gauge with a 4x scope, I took down a button buck at I think 70-80 yards. I wasn't aware the gun was smoothbore (my dad let me use it as my A-Bolt wasn't sighted in yet) and assuming it had the capability, fired on the deer. It hit the shoulder and killed it, but if what you said was correct, that'd be impossible, which it isn't. /rant
Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It's to my understanding that most uses for a shotgun isn't at ranges that would require a scope.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 AM

GM's right, slugs have more range than you think. I've seen consistent slug hits at 50+ yards roughly, and even at 50 yards you can benefit from magnification. If you can push a shotgun slug out father than that, you can use more optical zoom, and you'll probably need it too.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 AM

Frankly I need to find a new 20" barrel for my eight shot mossberg as I want to swap out the ghost ring for an optic sight. Just a simple red dot as I can't afford a 590 with an EOTech on top of the reciver.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM

To load an inline muzzleloader, you take out the breech plug, stick in the bullet and pellets, then screw in the plug behind it. Some people are apparently unclear as to what a muzzle is.

Not so much an incorrect fact as just general stupidity, I had 3 people come into the shop today having loaded and tried to fire the wrong ammo in their guns. .22 LR in a .22 WMR, .17 HMR in a .22 WMR, and 7mm Mauser in a 7mm Mag. I should point out that in Canada you have to take a safety course to even get a firearms permit, and the course covers not doing that.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
To load an inline muzzleloader, you take out the breech plug, stick in the bullet and pellets, then screw in the plug behind it. Some people are apparently unclear as to what a muzzle is.

Not so much an incorrect fact as just general stupidity, I had 3 people come into the shop today having loaded and tried to fire the wrong ammo in their guns. .22 LR in a .22 WMR, .17 HMR in a .22 WMR, and 7mm Mauser in a 7mm Mag. I should point out that in Canada you have to take a safety course to even get a firearms permit, and the course covers not doing that.
My grandfather accidentally tried to stick a .22 Magnum in the .22 Long Rifle cylinder for his Ruger Single Six. It took pliers and a lot of determination to get it out

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-09-2010, 04:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

This was a few years ago, when I knew of guns from what I've seen on TV so I didn't even know about clips and mags and I didn't know the difference between a Glock and a 1911 and AKs were the ultimate guns. No offense to AK lovers like YNH.

Anyway, this one piece of story was when I was showing a friend of mine online the new HK416 that came out recently. I said that we should use this in our little online forum fiction we were writing. The configuration I showed had the grenade launcher attached and for some reason, my buddy said "Hey...isn't that the gun from Aliens?" And even back then when I knew next to nothing about guns, I said no and he insisted. It wasn't until I googled images of the Alien Pulse Rifle when he said, the HK416 reminded him of it and I say...what part of this REAL gun.

I also remember other instances of mis-identification with guns cause my friends didn't know better, like during the Peter Jackson King Kong remake, he said the Tommy Guns used were the PPSH, a Russian SMG used during WWII. He was a COD fan at the time. This same friend said the XM8s in XXX: State of the Union were the assault rifles from Halo

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM

My brother won't stop inisiting that Ruger and Luger are the same thing and that the Ruger mark 1-3 pistol series are the same as the Luger P08

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM

[quote=Nyles;21885]To load an inline muzzleloader, you take out the breech plug, stick in the bullet and pellets, then screw in the plug behind it. Some people are apparently unclear as to what a muzzle is.

this is a joke?...right?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM

Nope. I work at Cabela's, I see and hear all sorts of shit every day. A coworker of mine bought a Remington 700 SPS in .300 RUM and put a Bushnell Banner and Weaver tip-off rings on it.