imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default New to me. S&W M&P S prefix transitional. 5 inch bl.

M&P S Prefix Transitional 5 inch. New to me.

Nyles you're probably the only guy here who will appreciate what many consider to be just a garden variety S&W 38 special revolver. But that's okay. I'm pleased with my find. You understand.

Picked this up a couple days ago. Very clean and in good mechanical shape. Timing is dead on. No end shake. Forcing cone is in good shape. No bulging in the barrel. Original finish. Very clean and shiney bore.

I believe it was made in 47. Serial number is S964XXX. As you can see it has only the Made in USA on the right hand side of the frame (instead of the marcus registrada logo which was introduced during the S prefix production run) and the long action (the short action was introduced near the end of the S run as well). As well as the new safety introduced by S&W in December 1944.

The grips don't have the same serial number but everything else matches. I've been wanting a nice older M&P with a 5" barrel. I was hoping this was a pre-war model, but hey I'll take a transitional S model. I paid $300.00 for it at a local pawn shop.

I'm buying the 38 K frames when I can. Espeically the five screws with the long action. Love the darn things.And for a S&W collector on a modest budget they're still a great deal. Better than the 44 frames/N frames. That's for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M&PUSA.jpg (109.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg M&P4.jpg (109.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg M&P3.jpg (99.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg M&P5.jpg (103.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Jcordell; 09-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Nice.

Do you have any N-frames .44 or .357?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM

So beautiful...

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Nice.

Do you have any N-frames .44 or .357?
I own a Model 28 (.357 magnum) with a 4" barrel (mfd. 1979) and a Heavy Duty (38/44) with a 5" barrel (mfd. 1937). I used to own two Model 28's with the 6" barrel, but I traded those off. Here is my thread showing photos of my Heavy Duty.

http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=621
Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Very nice, and in great shape! I like those early magna-grips too - the old round stocks on mine look nice but don't provide a great hold. I'm with you on the old long-action K frames - I really like my N frame Hand Ejector but the K frames are great guns. And if I had to carry one all day you can bet I'd be looking at a K frame.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Very nice, and in great shape! I like those early magna-grips too - the old round stocks on mine look nice but don't provide a great hold. I'm with you on the old long-action K frames - I really like my N frame Hand Ejector but the K frames are great guns. And if I had to carry one all day you can bet I'd be looking at a K frame.
Thought you would like it. I replaced the Magnas with Houges yesterday then reconsidered and put the magnas back on. They belong on it and look just right.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Very nice. We had several of these in our armory at Ellis Mercantile and the worked all the time. The only ones that went out more and used more were the Model 10's and Model 36's. I can say one thing for sure what you have there will outlast any of the new Smith's. The quality is just not there now with S&W.

Enjoy your fine weapon.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Very nice. We had several of these in our armory at Ellis Mercantile and the worked all the time. The only ones that went out more and used more were the Model 10's and Model 36's. I can say one thing for sure what you have there will outlast any of the new Smith's. The quality is just not there now with S&W.

Enjoy your fine weapon.
It's a crying shame that Smith's quality has slipped. Why can't they be like Rugers and never break!

http://www.introvertisland.com