imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-11-2014, 06:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Actually in a lot of the comics, there were guns on the batmobile but they have rubber bullets on them. According to the canon, he has never used them and when one of the Robins took a ride in the batmobile when he used them because he hated baterangs.
Which Robin hates batarangs? I cant remember any specific instances of him using guns on the batmobile (but I am sure he has), but I know that there was an issue of Batman & Robin from a couple of years ago where the Batplane uses rubber bullets.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
He doesn't fire proper bullets from them though, it is always weird stuff like tranq darts, rubber bullets, tasers, concussion grenades, stuff like that. Depending on who is writing/drawing him he has on rare occasions used guns or gun-like weapons himself, mainly for grappling hooks but occasionally directed energy, less lethal projectiles of some sort, or whatever mcguffin is needed to take down his current opponent. In the comics he now has (well, not has, but will have, its complicated) a sidekick called Bluebird that carries a gun, non-lethal though it may be. Hell, some artwork that was released for an upcoming issue shows Batman with a gun too (and a cybernetic hand as well).

From looking at these photos, does anybody else get the feeling that it transforms into different modes? There are doors at the front which are folded down and look like they could fold over the air intakes above them. Similarly, the various fins look like they could fold down flat against the body and the wheels look like they might retract in tight against the body. My guess is that this is in normal mode, but in battle or when he smashes through stuff all of the plates and wheels will retract in to protect it and make it smaller.
Has Bluebird made it into the main series yet, I've only seen her in Batman Eternal. I think he's become more accepting of people with guns in New 52, since he's kinda/sorta allies with Red Hood, who wears the bat symbol but uses guns (and kills people).

The scene in the 1989 Batman film where the Batmobile fires real bullets always bothered me.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The scene in the 1989 Batman film where the Batmobile fires real bullets always bothered me.
Don't forget the minigun and rockets on the Batwing.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Has Bluebird made it into the main series yet, I've only seen her in Batman Eternal. I think he's become more accepting of people with guns in New 52, since he's kinda/sorta allies with Red Hood, who wears the bat symbol but uses guns (and kills people).

Issue #28 of Batman was a flash-forward to the events just after the end of Batman Eternal, and it was this that the image above was taken from. I believe the sketch is from on issue of the upcoming "Endgame" arc which starts in #35. I think #34 is going to be a recap, as from this issue onwards the timeline will jump forwards to after batman eternal finishes.

There was an issue of Batman & Robin (I think it might have actually been called "Batman & The Red Hood" as it was post Damien's death) where batman and Red Hood teamed up, and he was cool with him freely using his guns as long as he only aimed for the knee caps.

Last edited by commando552; 09-11-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:

There was an issue of Batman & Robin (I think it might have actually been called "Batman & The Red Hood" as it was post Damien's death) where batman and Red Hood teamed up, and he was cool with him freely using his guns as long as he only aimed for the knee caps.
Yes, I did read that one. I think I'm about six months behind.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

So it's not just me.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/11/61...bile-gun-photo
Old 09-11-2014, 09:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Nothing cryptic here...

http://www.slashfilm.com/rambo-5-title/
Old 09-11-2014, 11:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
"Now, imagine the the iconic showdown in The Dark Knight, when the Joker plays a game of chicken with the Batmobile, but this time Batman has a giant machine gun." Firstly, it was the batpod not the batmobile, and secondly IT ALREADY DID HAVE MACHINE GUNS!! Its not like they were on there and not being used, he is constantly using them to shoot through windows and stuff to get to the joker. Not only that, he has some kind of HE cannons as well that can totally destroy cars that are in his way (and kill (?) Bane in the next film). In the clarification a the bottom of the article, the author says that it is just the size and centralised position of the guns that he had a problem with. This is just perspective though, if you look at the previously leaked photos the guns are actually really small, so much so that I hadn't even noticed them until this official photo came out.

I have seen a few articles now that seem to have a problem with the guns, but personally I really don't. Most if not all of the movie batmobiles have had guns (not the Batman & Robin one but lets ignore that...), and in the comics batman has been known to fit ranged weapons to all sorts of his vehicles, so I have no problem them doing it in a film. granted, I do not remember them ever being permanently exposed on a turret like this, but this is a hell of a lot more practical than the fixed forward firing ones that we are used to. One last thing, people are complaining like they think he is going to go around machine gunning people. At this stage we have no idea what these are, they could be used to fire anything from grappling hooks to laser beams. At least its not like a couble of Browing MGs or a Minigun
which can only reasonably expected to fire bullets. Based on the design of these with not sort of ammunition feed, I would imagine these are some kind of energy weapon, or at least something more technical than just a machine gun.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
"Now, imagine the the iconic showdown in The Dark Knight, when the Joker plays a game of chicken with the Batmobile, but this time Batman has a giant machine gun." Firstly, it was the batpod not the batmobile, and secondly IT ALREADY DID HAVE MACHINE GUNS!! Its not like they were on there and not being used, he is constantly using them to shoot through windows and stuff to get to the joker. Not only that, he has some kind of HE cannons as well that can totally destroy cars that are in his way (and kill (?) Bane in the next film). In the clarification a the bottom of the article, the author says that it is just the size and centralised position of the guns that he had a problem with. This is just perspective though, if you look at the previously leaked photos the guns are actually really small, so much so that I hadn't even noticed them until this official photo came out.

I have seen a few articles now that seem to have a problem with the guns, but personally I really don't. Most if not all of the movie batmobiles have had guns (not the Batman & Robin one but lets ignore that...), and in the comics batman has been known to fit ranged weapons to all sorts of his vehicles, so I have no problem them doing it in a film. granted, I do not remember them ever being permanently exposed on a turret like this, but this is a hell of a lot more practical than the fixed forward firing ones that we are used to. One last thing, people are complaining like they think he is going to go around machine gunning people. At this stage we have no idea what these are, they could be used to fire anything from grappling hooks to laser beams. At least its not like a couble of Browing MGs or a Minigun
which can only reasonably expected to fire bullets. Based on the design of these with not sort of ammunition feed, I would imagine these are some kind of energy weapon, or at least something more technical than just a machine gun.
I totally forgot about the Batpod's cannons. (Grenade launchers?) I think it was Catwoman who actually used them on Bane.

I'm actually okay with the Batwing having the minigun, although I'm a bit surprised by how small it is. (The M134 would seem to imply anti-personnel use.) I was bothered that Batman tried strafing the Joker with it though.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:48 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

In other Batman related news...

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tita...nt-1201303968/

Isn't Nightwing supposed to be in the Justice League movie? And it's been a few years since Nightwing's been on Teen Titans, if I recall. That's been Red Robin's team for a few years now.