imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Chicago handgun ban overturned

I'm surprised nobody posted anything on this sooner, but are y'all happy about the Supreme Court ruling in McDonald vs. Chicago? I hope it goes to show the more pessimistic amongst you that it is possible for us to win, even in FUBAR Blue states and cities. This is what I mean when I say that gun owners in America are on the offensive, not the defensive.

(Actually, I think the AWB's expiration in 2004 should have made this clear, but nobody back then seemed to care.)
Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yes it's good news. Of course there are those (on other gun forums) who somehow see this as a defeat. I guess they don't understand that it takes time to reverse over seventy years of defeats and setbacks. But it looks like the courts are finally recognizing that the 2nd Amendment is actually part of the constitution. That's a huge step. If you had told me in 1999 (post Colombine) that this would be the situation in just eleven years I would have asked to see your Kool - Aid. It's a huge step forward. No the fight is still going and probably will for many decades to come. I expect setbacks, but once the Constitutional Litmus Test has to be applied to laws it changes the political dynamic. It's a good start.

Last edited by Jcordell; 07-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
If you had told me in 1999 (post Colombine) that this would be the situation in just eleven years I would have asked to see your Kool - Aid.
I remember how in 2004, only a few months before the AWB expired, there were still people who insisted that somehow, it was going to get renewed at the last second.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

A few newspapers reported it down here:

http://www.clarin.com/mundo/estados_...289171154.html

Obviously, all the media is pro-gun control.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I was living in Upper New York State in the late 90's. I thought I was going to go bonkers from the non-stop anti-gun bias that the media was blasting. Far more intense than it is here in Idaho. And I lost my hearing after Colombine. God damn.

P.S. I'm being rhetorical when I say I lost my hearing. LOL
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM

Looks like we can finally break out the champagne.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I can go into Chicago with my gun now.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 AM

Not so fast Excaliber. The Chicago coruption machine has already shoved through a local ordinance banning Gunshops in Chicago and stateing that one cannot have a firearm outside ones home(garages do not count as part of ones home or ones vehicle for that matter).

Personally I would love to see a supreme court justice send an injuntion against this new ordinace.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That's why I still love the state I live in.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Not so fast Excaliber. The Chicago coruption machine has already shoved through a local ordinance banning Gunshops in Chicago and stateing that one cannot have a firearm outside ones home(garages do not count as part of ones home or ones vehicle for that matter).
Yeah, so basically they're technically legal, but doing just about anything with them is still a crime.

It's crap like this that makes me believe the CIA's prediction of the next American revolution occurring by 2014.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman