imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM

the air force also standard issues a Beretta to pilots and flight crews
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM

All my friends in the miulitary have pistols, just standard berettas. Where are you getting this "most troops dont carry pistols cause theyll think your an officer" crap?

Pistols also are a defensive weapon, there used to get you to a better weapon if something happens to your primary. Nobody will take on a squad of trops with a handgun. As for SMGs, usually only special ops use them due to them being easier to silence
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I mean, I know the regular British army don't issue pistols or train their infantry how to use a submachine gun

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 PM

The british police dont even carry handguns though.

The U.S. military issues berettas to everyone, you can get permission to carry a sig p228 for certain reasons. Some people with smaller hands cant grip the m9 well and use the sig. 1911s are used by some soldiers, but most have trouble getting permission since the ability to share mags is an issue I guess. A pistol is a secondary weapon and I dont see how mag compatibilty is an issue on them.

My coast guard sevice weapon is a Sig p229 DAK .40 with speer gold dots. The beretta left in 2006

Although I must say the beretta trigger is way better, I just don't like 9mm.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

That's a common misconception. I talked to a Brit who corrected me on this issue, since 9/11, police in the UK use guns. There was a time when they couldn't though.

He also gave me a long list of guns you can and can't own. Apparently semi-autos aren't allowed, so some people owned semi-autos with "neutered" systems so you'd need to cock the action every time like a bolt action. He said he had an AR in this configuration.

As for sidearms, I used to talk to a guy on another forum who serves "over there" as a sniper, and he carried a SIG P228 as his sidearm. He took some pictures of it, but they are too hard to find in the forum history (and I rarely visit there anymore).
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 AM

My friends dad was a gunenrs mate in the Navy and said some pilots carry the p228 due to its compact size. They also used m16a3s when he was rangemaster for the seebees. I also heard the Brits have guns, buit not on their person, there left in the car and have way more restrictions on use.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Wel the brits took too long to even get semi auto guns as a standard in their military. They had a lot of issues when dealing with politics of how to arm their troops.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 AM

And they still use bullpups.....seriously
Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Hey bullpups arent really a bad thing. It just needs to be perfected that's all.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM

I hate bullpups, they dont work for me. They may be good for close range LE stuff but for any range it doesn't. Ive even seen bullpup bolt actions, how do you exactly cycle the bolt on that? And who cares if a snip[er rifle is compact? Not that youd room clear with a bolt gun. Bullpups are slow to reload, clear a jam and triggers universally suck.