imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Templates

Am I the only one who doesn't like the movie title templates. How hard is it to write one simple phrase that you need to type in a default setting for them. Different users use different titles for their pages and it annoys me that this forces everyone to use the same one. (Anon. users keep changing these, leaving you little choice.) I for one am not a fan on templates. Just because we are a wiki site, doesn't mean we should copy everything they do. We should be our own damn site.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:41 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, I'm really not sure of the value of some of these new templates myself. The titles one alone is bullshit, but what I really find annoying are the new categories. Is it really necessary to have a "Gun" category and then sub-categories? Or even for actors, dividing into "Actor Male" and "Actor Female" (I especially love the second one...sounds like it was written by an alien who just encountered humanity recently)?

There are ways in which I don't mind IMFDB becoming more complicated - like when it concerns breadth of information (distinguishing between an "AK-47" and a Norinco Type 56, for instance). But this is hardly one of them.

Oh, yeah, and I (temporarily) banned some dude who decided that he was going to make a new category called "Online Game" just for "CS: Online" and basically screwed up a whole bunch of gun pages doing it.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Should we do something about this? Like all the pages on the main page have this template crap and now their actual pages aren't linked because the templates don't link to the actual page. This really pisses me off. I think all this sub category crap should be abolished. Attack of the administrators!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

I'm really starting to get frustrated with the templates as well. Not only are the Anonymous users making them without permission, but a few of them are faulty such as the Movie Title where everything is bolded except the title. Alot of Anonymous users are replacing the text on the pages with it, and it's really starting to make alot of pages look bad. I wouldn't mind so much if they were making useful templates such as info boxes, but all the sub categories, and templates they're making aren't very good.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:09 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienqueen11 View Post
I'm really starting to get frustrated with the templates as well. Not only are the Anonymous users making them without permission, but a few of them are faulty such as the Movie Title where everything is bolded except the title. Alot of Anonymous users are replacing the text on the pages with it, and it's really starting to make alot of pages look bad. I wouldn't mind so much if they were making useful templates such as info boxes, but all the sub categories, and templates they're making aren't very good.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's actually just one guy with slightly different IPs (logging in from two different computers on same network, perhaps?) who's been doing all of the template stuff we've seen in the last few weeks.

Oh, yeah and...Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

OK, he FINALLY registered on the site. This is him:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...gon&rcid=68171