imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Recomend me War Movies.

Some i am looking for some War Movies for me to buy. I got a lot of money and i need to use them. I need War movies, Vietnam War ones Preferably.
I got:

Full Metal Jacket.
My favorite Vietnam War movie.

Platoon.
Hated it. But i still watch some parts to make fun of the cheesy glory.

Hamburger Hill.
Liked it.

Dead Presidents.
Liked it, but it's not exactly a war film.

So recommend away.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

The Big Red One, early eighties WWII film with Lee Marvin. Black Hawk Down - Mogadishu.

I'll take Platoon over Full Metal Jacket. About all the characters in the film are based off real people Oliver Stone knew.

Last edited by predator20; 08-06-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM

And most of Full Metal Jacket was Michael Herr and Gustav Hasford retelling their experiences. There were also no silly redneck accents and the theme song playing every time there isn't any dialogue. I have Black Hawk down also. Really liked it. I will look into the Big red One.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Ah okay you were listing just the Vietnam films you had. The Big Red One is no big budget Saving Private Ryan, but the director Sam Fuller was a WWII veteran and so was Marvin. I have the reconstruction version, with some extended scenes.

The thing that annoyed me on Full Metal Jacket was when the sniper takes another shot at one of the wounded guys, Kubrick puts it in slow motion when they're groaning out ever time. Got old. What I did like about it was the urban landscape instead of the jungle. I'm from the south so I have a silly redneck accent, didn't bother me. Jason Isaacs (Steele) and Eric Bana (Hoot) attempt of a southern accent was embarrassing in Black Hawk Down though.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Ah okay you were listing just the Vietnam films you had. The Big Red One is no big budget Saving Private Ryan, but the director Sam Fuller was a WWII veteran and so was Marvin. I have the reconstruction version, with some extended scenes.

The thing that annoyed me on Full Metal Jacket was when the sniper takes another shot at one of the wounded guys, Kubrick puts it in slow motion when they're groaning out ever time. Got old. What I did like about it was the urban landscape instead of the jungle. I'm from the south so I have a silly redneck accent, didn't bother me. Jason Isaacs (Steele) and Eric Bana (Hoot) attempt of a southern accent was embarrassing in Black Hawk Down though.
Your redneck accent is not silly, i bet. It's realistic. Black Hawk Down's redneck accents were also silly. And i agree with the slow motion in Full Metal Jacket. Of course the awesome dialogue makes up for it.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Saving Private Ryan is a good one.

Black Hawk Down.

Letters from Iwo Jima is a recent favorite of mine since it tells the Japanese perspective on WWII.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM

I watched Letters from Iwo Jima too. It made me cry. Happy tears though.

I also got Saving Private Ryan too. Great Movie.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Enemy at the Gates is an excellent film about Vassili Zeitsev, a Russian sniper during WWII. The story is strayed quite heavily from actual history, but the sniper battles are cool.

The Thin Red Line was a good WWII movie, and had a massive cast of well known actors.

And the sister film to Letters from Iwo Jima is Flags of our Fathers, which was a good depiction from the American's view.

Sands of Iwo Jima is a good one with John Wayne, and I own the VHS converted to color, so I don't have the inconveniance of B&W. Had the macho vibe his movies tend to have, but it was good.

As for Platoon, I have mixed feelings. The first time I watched it, I was very driven by the contreversial characters, but as I rewatched it, it lost its luster and felt like any other preachy war film. BTW, is it possible for John C. McGinley to play a rule where he isn't a complete douche?

And I love Full Metal Jacket. Lots of gun errors and continuity mistakes though, which bugs me still. And how dumb was it for Hartman to scream at and insult a deranged man with a loaded rifle?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 PM

There were a lot continuity mistakes on Platoon too. Especially on the things the Soldiers had on their helmets.

Another thing, all the silly redneck accents piss me off. Great Oliver Stone, all your evil characters are from the Southren United States. How fucking Original. And he gave all the Redneck Characters to guys from New York and the like. But at least it's not as bad as Billy Jack.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
IMFDB Admin

McGinley was a little bastard in that movie, and he had a city accent. If that helps.