imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 AM

I like to refer to guns like the 4505 as RBF (rare but functional). That being said, geeze man that is a helluva snag! Got a pretty good deal on it too. If it goes for 875 on GB and you get it for 600, you've done good, especially seeing as how they are so few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
You only paid $550 plus tax? I paid like $630 for my 4506-1! Goddamit, I got ripped off
I don't know what the book value of it is, but in my eyes, yeah you kinda did. I personally wouldn't put down more than 500 bucks on a 4506, especially if they have the funny looking Novak sight as opposed to the adjustable or the early fixed sights. Predator's gun is an obvious exception since it's so rare. While it is all stainless and that usually ups the price, All the S&Ws are pretty low cost guns because they are/were made here in the USA. $630 with sales tax is a ridiculous price but if you REEEEALLY want it, you're sort of blind to cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Someone stole the mag out of the gun earlier in the gunshow, so I had buy all of mine seperate too
Buying a gun without a magazine is a whole other story, and don't even begin to tell me what you had to pay for them. I asked a guy who had a 5906 mag for sale at a local store what he wanted and even he told me to brace myself. It was 49 bucks.

Oh yeah nice Italian Inox too, Predator20.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 02-10-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I like to refer to guns like the 4505 as RBF (rare but functional). That being said, geeze man that is a helluva snag! Got a pretty good deal on it too. If it goes for 875 on GB and you get it for 600, you've done good, especially seeing as how they are so few and far between.
Yeah it was $875 plus shipping and FFL fees, so I did good. When I saw the price at the gun store I was like holy shit.

Quote:
I don't know what the book value of it is, but in my eyes, yeah you kinda did. I personally wouldn't put down more than 500 bucks on a 4506, especially if they have the funny looking Novak sight as opposed to the adjustable or the early fixed sights. Predator's gun is an obvious exception since it's so rare. While it is all stainless and that usually ups the price, All the S&Ws are pretty low cost guns because they are/were made here in the USA. $630 with sales tax is a ridiculous price but if you REEEEALLY want it, you're sort of blind to cost..
I've seen some LEO 4506s go for around 350 on gb. 450 to 550 on really clean ones. But if you want a certain gun bad enough, you'll pay just about anything. From what I read on the 4505 in the S&W book, most came with fixed Novak sights. Very few with the adjustable. I prefer fixed sights on my handguns.

Quote:
Buying a gun without a magazine is a whole other story, and don't even begin to tell me what you had to pay for them. I asked a guy who had a 5906 mag for sale at a local store what he wanted and even he told me to brace myself. It was 49 bucks.
I've found it's aways better to buy in bulk when it comes to mags. Buying 3 to 5 at a time you'll end up paying 20 to 25 each, sometimes even less. Instead of paying 30 to 35 for a single mag.

Quote:
Oh yeah nice Italian Inox too, Predator20.
Thanks. Kind of funny, one of the main reason I bought the gun. After trading my grandma my 92F for her .22 pistol so she would have something bigger, I had several mags lying around and no gun to use them. A SIG P220 is next on my list.

Last edited by predator20; 02-10-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 AM

It was $630 with tax and the mags were $25 a pop
@ YNH: It's the adjustable sights model

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 AM

Adjustable sights are more or less pointless on duty handguns but they make up the ubiqitous S&W Automatic profile which is something I look for being partially a collector.

I don't like paying more than 20-25 bucks per magazine which sucks because Browning wants 50 bucks for every new Hi-Power mag. I have to shop around everywhere to get a deal on a mag. You did alright on the 4506 magazines though.

The next two handguns on my list -o- guns to buy are a West German SIG P226 like MT2008s and a S&W Model 659 to replace the 5906. Still need to buy a rifle though...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 AM

If I want a "duty" gun, I'll buy a Kimber. The 4506 is just for target shooting/home defense. And if your going to buy a rifle, don't, whatever you do, buy a Japanese made Browning. They start out awesome but degrade quickly

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

I don't like paying more than 20-25 bucks per magazine which sucks because Browning wants 50 bucks for every new Hi-Power mag. I have to shop around everywhere to get a deal on a mag. You did alright on the 4506 magazines though.

The next two handguns on my list -o- guns to buy are a West German SIG P226 like MT2008s and a S&W Model 659 to replace the 5906. Still need to buy a rifle though...
Mec-gar makes good mags for the hi-power. I have a few of their 15 round flush fit and 20 round extended. Always worked great.

I wouldn't mind a P226 either, but already have a few 9mm. There was one at the gun shop for $520 but had a lot of slide wear.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 AM

I got some of the 15 rounders and found that stuffing all 15 rounds in was quite a chore. The last round wouldn't come out easily and so I decided so return them. I could have downloaded them but then the 15 round witness hole is no longer used and I can't tell if I have 14 rounds or 10. I plan on getting a couple of the 13 rounders when they go back on sale at MidwayUSA. I also look out on Gunbroker for factory mag deals.

Aside from a Kimber being a 1911 and a 4506 being it's own design, they will both work fine. The difference is that Kimber will charge you a grand whereas you can get a S&W for around 450-500 bucks. You still have the same firepower with the same accuracy and reliability with a different battery of arms (DA as opposed to SA). As far as 1911s go, I wouldn't buy a Kimber because Springfield makes as good if not better 1911s at, again, a cheaper price. Springfields have a lifetime warranty which comes in handy, I don't know if Kimber does. Kimber also utilizes the Series 80 safety system which I generally do not approve of in a 1911. They don't utterly suck, you could just do better.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm late to the party, but congats, Brian! Although I am, of course, a SIG guy, I appreciate the S&W autos as much as anyone, and the 4505 is a good choice for a .45...provided it's not too big for you, of course (it is for me).

Oh, and I love the 92FS Inox, too.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Nice gun - never personally been a big fan of the S&W autos, but they're fine, functional firearms.

And you guys have no idea about mags. Try finding a .455 1911 mag for under $200. Or a .38 ACP Webley mag, period.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

One other thing...I was going to sell my 4506-1 for only $500. If people are charging $600 for a 4505, does this mean I should be charging more?