imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Formerly "Michael Westen"

Exclamation Converted Blank Guns (Zoraki)

I thought this was highly illegal? Although I'm presuming the uploader is in Russia... What do you guys make of this? I've always loved the Zoraki 914 after seeing it in Nikita, but of course, it's a 9mm PAK blank gun. Here the video shows the zoraki 925 which is just a 914 with a shorter barrel and a different shell. The uploader claims to have milled himself a new barrel, and it appears to take .380 ACP. I'm shocked. Thoughts? The second linked video is rather frightening the way he refers to them and seems to act like their toys for a street thug...

Zoraki 925 converted to live firing(.380ACP)

Zoraki 906 converted to live firing(.380ACP Subcompact back-up gun)

Last edited by Sergei Titov; 04-27-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Titov View Post
I thought this was highly illegal? Although I'm presuming the uploader is in Russia... What do you guys make of this? I've always loved the Zoraki 914 after seeing it in Nikita, but of course, it's a 9mm PAK blank gun. Here the video shows the zoraki 925 which is just a 914 with a shorter barrel and a different shell. The uploader claims to have milled himself a new barrel, and it appears to take .380 ACP. I'm shocked. Thoughts? The second linked video is rather frightening the way he refers to them and seems to act like their toys for a street thug...

Zoraki 925 converted to live firing(.380ACP)

Zoraki 906 converted to live firing(.380ACP Subcompact back-up gun)
And another example of why prohibition does not work. What worries me is the street thug reference.

I have friends of a friend who has built zip guns for police buy backs but in his case he's a NFA manufacturer and he has all of the correct paperwork done for said firearms.

Seven dollar shotgun

Gun Buyback zip gun
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I ran across this article on converting Makarov gas guns while doing a page.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...g-machine.html

(BTW, I love the caption on the first photo: "The Baikal IZH-79: The handgun can be bought for as little as £1,200 from gangs in the UK's largest cities." At today's conversion rates, that's only $1850.)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

People will find a way to make something that can kill. This is why most gun laws don't work.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

It's illegal, and incredibly stupid and dangerous. Which never stopped anybody from doing anything I guess. Those zoraki guns won't stand up to the pressures of live ammo. Even if you mill your own barrels. It's going to fail catastrophically eventually.

I own a bunch of zoraki, ekol, bruni, and kimar guns. I've used them in a bunch of low budget films. The kimar and bruni are older and I don't fire them anymore. I've seen those brands fail badly. The ekol and zoraki are higher quality but still, they are not designed for live ammo. WELL, they have started to convert the Ekol and Bruni to fire 22lr, and that seems to be working OK. Chiappa is doing it. They sell a 1911-22 and an m9-22.

The 925 doesn't have a shorter barrel by the way. It's the same as the 914, it's just a 914 with a shell on it. It's not a different shell. It's just a plastic shell over a stripped down 914.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well eventually is the word. These people don't care and if you use it in a crime, you can just discard it because it is cheap to get.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well eventually is the word. These people don't care and if you use it in a crime, you can just discard it because it is cheap to get.
You got it. The discarding comment is so true. Also, it's untraceable. And it breaks my heart, because it may well lead to them being outlawed entirely which pisses me off. I really enjoy the full auto capable blank firers a lot. They're a lot of fun.

This discussion made me think of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingJames View Post

This discussion made me think of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI
In that scene, the crook was using some kind of supped up hot load that was so powerful, it warped the barrel, ruining the gun...but the results were totally worth it.

Anyway, traceable firearms can only go so far. You get rid of the barrel, replace the firing pin and of course, scratching off the serial number can also make it hard if not impossible to pin one firearm to another crime scene. But a lot of crooks are not so smart in that department.