imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-10-2021, 03:38 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Getting issued a G45 MOS next week

Today I unexpectedly received an e-mail advising me that a new shipment of Glock pistols is coming in next week and I can have either a 5th Gen G19 MOS or G45 MOS. If I want to buy my Gen 4 G19 it will cost me $290. Good price so I'm buying it. It was issued to me new in the box back in 2013 and I've been the only operator- it's basically been mine for the past eight years anyway. I'm going to go with the G45 this time because why not?

Last edited by Jcordell; 04-10-2021 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Today I unexpectedly received an e-mail advising me that a new shipment of Glock pistols is coming in next week and I can have either a 5th Gen G19 MOS or G45 MOS. If I want to buy my Gen 4 G19 it will cost me $290. Good price so I'm buying it. It was issued to me new in the box back in 2013 and I've been the only operator- it's basically been mine for the past eight years anyway. I'm going to go with the G45 this time because why not?
Good choice! I haven't yet had the chance to shoot the G45 myself yet, but if I buy another Glock, I've decided that it's going to be the G45. I've heard a lot of good things about it from pretty much every gun YouTuber I watch (check out Hickok45's video if you haven't already, here). I think it'll be a great final service pistol for you; the additional grip length and extra rounds in the mag will be nice, compared to the G19.

RE buying your Gen4 G19: No objection there; do you prefer to collect every service pistol you've had? I'm not in Law Enforcement, but if I were, that's what I'd do: I'd want to have a collection of all my service weapons as a memento of my career, and to pass along to my kids/grandkids.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
RE buying your Gen4 G19: No objection there; do you prefer to collect every service pistol you've had? I'm not in Law Enforcement, but if I were, that's what I'd do: I'd want to have a collection of all my service weapons as a memento of my career, and to pass along to my kids/grandkids.
I traded off the SIG P220, but I have held onto the SIG P245. When I was issued the Gen 4 G19 in '13 I asked about buying the Gen 3 G19 that I had been carrying since 2006. The Lieutenant said that wouldn't be a problem, but then he turned around and traded it. Oh well. I should be carrying the G45 until I retire; which is tentatively set for 2025 or 2026. The department gifts the retiring officer his/her duty sidearm after having the slide engraved with the badge number and years of service. So I'll be able to have a collection of most of my duty handguns. I also have a Beretta 92FS as an example of the M9 that I carried in the Army. I don't have an M249, M16A2 or an M4 carbine though.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
I don't have an M249, M16A2 or an M4 carbine though.
Damn the NFA. LOL

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-17-2021, 03:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I traded off the SIG P220, but I have held onto the SIG P245. When I was issued the Gen 4 G19 in '13 I asked about buying the Gen 3 G19 that I had been carrying since 2006. The Lieutenant said that wouldn't be a problem, but then he turned around and traded it. Oh well. I should be carrying the G45 until I retire; which is tentatively set for 2025 or 2026. The department gifts the retiring officer his/her duty sidearm after having the slide engraved with the badge number and years of service. So I'll be able to have a collection of most of my duty handguns.
That's a pretty good collection. When you retire, build a glass case to display them, and put the dates that you carried them on tags next to each.

Quote:
I also have a Beretta 92FS as an example of the M9 that I carried in the Army. I don't have an M249, M16A2 or an M4 carbine though.
I'd tell you to get into the clone game for AR builds, but that way lies madness and depleted bank accounts (I know - the clone that I'm building now has set me back more than $3,000 so far).
Old 05-25-2021, 02:33 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Picked up my G45 MOS a couple weeks ago. Haven't found the time to qualify with it yet so I'm still carrying my G19 Gen 4 (which I purchased for $290). I have to say I really like the feel of the G45. I like the gen 3/4 finger grooves - they fit my hand, but I must say the retro Gen 1/2 grip also fits my hand very comfortably. I've been reading articles about the model when it was introduced in 2018. One thing that I have noticed is that nobody compared it to the Colt Commander (shorter barrel with the regular 1911 grip) which seems odd to me and I happen to be a fan of the Commander.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:41 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Finally got qualified on the G45 today. I shot a 99% (out of 100) first time through. It's an easy to shoot pistol and the "new" grip design is comfortable. I put a couple rounds through it after shooting the qualification course. No snags. Now will I make it to retirement with this pistol or will I be issued a Gen 6?
Old 09-03-2021, 03:06 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

So here is my G45 with it's predecessor; the G19 that I have been carrying since 2013. I purchased the G19 for $200 from my agency. It was issued to me new in the box back in 13. I was asked if I wanted to buy it. For $200 I figured I would be crazy not to. I do like the G45 though. The balance is very nice and the grip is a comfortable design. I retire in a few years and I'll likely be gifted the G45 as a retirement gift. They engrave the retiring officers name, badge number (111) and years of service on the slide.