imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 AM

Default I'm shopping for a revolver.....could I get some info?

Sometime soon I plan on buying a revolver. As for it's use, I'll be keeping it for home defense, possibly conceal carry in the future. Occasionally I might take it to a range. I'm pretty picky about the style of the revolver...I'd want a blued model with wooden grips, preferably a Smith & Wesson, and preferably in .357 caliber with a 4 inch barrel or shorter. I don't want anything bigger.

I'm willing to spend 500-600 dollars on it. I've looked around online for different models, trying to get an idea of what I'd want. The Smith and Wesson Model 19 looks to fit what I'm interested in. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what other revolvers are out there that fit this criteria?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM

I know you can get a quality Smith & Wesson for 5-600 or less, but I suggest you stay away from current production models. For concealed carry, I highly recommend you get either a slim automatic or a J-Frame .38 though, cause trying to conceal a full size revolver is a pain. If you just want a home gun though, a full size is fine. If you need a .357 Magnum, of course the 19 is an option, but these reuqire a sufficient amount of care, since they have very touchy blued or nickel finishes which are pretty to look at, but spoil if you don't take care of them. That being said, as a gun you might use for duty, not a fantastic choice. You can get a Model 66, which is the Stainless Steel version of the Model 19, or get the tougher L-Frame 686, but, again, try and get an old production model, one with the firing pin on the hammer (it's a feature on the Smiths). Also, I say the L-Frame is tougher because in rare cases, the K Frame revolvers have sustained forcing cone cracks from firing hot .357 loads over a long period. Though this is rare, an L-Frame will never have that problem. You can still get a K frame and shoot .38s for practice, and pack .357s for serious business, or just use lower power loads (158 grain soft points are good all around bullets for targets and self defense. Even a weak .357 Magnum is still better than the strongest 9mm or A good quality .45 Auto.

I got a Smith though and I swear by their product line. Forget Taurus or Rossi or even Colt cause they cost too damn much, get a Smith.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Maybe a Smith & Wesson Model 13 with a 2" barrel like the gun used by the lobby guard in the Matrix and Sean William Scott in The Rundown. Or the Mode 65, the stainless steel counterpart.

.357 Magnums are kind of overrated, they hit hard but are going too fast. Imagine a 9mm, a notoriously fast round know to pass straight through a target, this loosing the kinetic energy, now put a lot more powder behind it, so now it is even faster. But boy does it blow up a pumpkin nicely.

If you want a good concealed carry gun, I'd recommend a Para-Ordnance Warthog or Nite-Hawg, it's a 1911 gun (so it will be reliable if maintained), holds 10+1 (nice for a .45 pistol), fits in the hand well for a compact, and did I mention it's a 1911? Roughly a $500 gun.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM

13s and 65s are a bit harder to find, and the service sights are garbage. Those are collector guns and not much more.

Aside from substantial recoil, .357 Magnum is an excellent round. Just gotta learn to tame it.

As for a Warthog, I think the guy wants a revolver, but that's an alright auto I guess. Freakin' small though.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks for all the input. You guys are being a lot of help, I really didn't know what else to look for besides a 19, thanks for bringing other models to my attention.

The only things I'm certain about is wanting a Smith & Wesson revolver, blued steel, and wooden grips.

Any more information on different models and reccomendations is greatly appreciated ^^
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Get a Taurus Judge.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”