imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world, and for all intents and purposes, firearms are illegal for the common man there.

Which is odd considering they make some Winchester rifles.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It's also about the gun culture. Guns are part of American culture. The idea of armed citizens is part of America. Japan and most of the Asian countries have never had the idea of individual citizens with means of practical self defense. Sure, they've had plenty of revolutions where the common man take up arms but in extreme cases and in modern times it isn't like China or Japan is going to have another revolution. Even Japan is not officially allowed to have a real military technically.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM

True, and further more, suicides are independent of means.

Japan is an interesting case study in regards to sucide, for the culture is not historically steeped in guns, mind you guns were originally outlawed there as a method to ensure the samurai were able to thier master's bidding unopposed, but also has a culture that, while it doesn't romanticize suicide, views it more favorably than western culture.

And the JSDF boys and girls are very good. They would have given the Soviets pause.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post

And the JSDF boys and girls are very good. They would have given the Soviets pause.
Currently any army can give the Russians pause.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Currently any army can give the Russians pause.
Well, not the Georgian Army...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, not the Georgian Army...
They have an army?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Eh, the Georgia defense force didn't just roll over.

They did pretty well with what they had.

Shot down a couple of Backfire's and exacted a fearful toll on Russian Frontal Aviation.

but, people seem to forget, the modern Russia army got a lot of experience in Chechya, and Putin has spared no expense in re-equipping them.

Not the shell of a force they were in the early 90s.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It's just the violent nature of guns, but before guns, we got swords and other weapons and governments had tried to regulate who gets those.
That's actually the #1 reason that the Philistines were able to keep the Hebrews their slaves for as long as they did: forbidding them from owning spears and swords.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 AM

If you take the right to bear arms from people they'll just find ways to rip you a new one without them.

That's kind of the reason Karate exists.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 AM

Hell, that's the reason gun control is so entrenched in Japan.

First off guns were considered western, which the ruling class didn't much care for, and it looks bad to the peasentry if any untrained farmer can knock your noble warrior class Samurai off his horse with one shot from behind a bush.