imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-28-2016, 03:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Searson View Post
Those wont work on an AR.
Look at the photos again. They make one for the MPX and one for the AR platform.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-28-2016, 06:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Anyone here have any pistols with armbraces?

Coming from a country where a pistol with an armbrace is this, I've always been curious as to what the point of American "arm braces" on rifles was. I have very rarely seen anybody use them with the brace attached to their arm, and if you do you can only hold it one handed (assuming you want to aim). Most people just get a cheek weld on the "brace", and if this is the case why not just use a buffer tube with a padded sleeve or something like the Thordsen/CAA Saddle thing? Is there any advantage to these other than pure aesthetics so that they can be made to look sort of like a stock?

Also, just curious, is there any legal distinction between a stock and a stabilise/arm brace other than how it is marketed?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I've always been curious as to what the point of American "arm braces" on rifles was. I have very rarely seen anybody use them with the brace attached to their arm, and if you do you can only hold it one handed (assuming you want to aim). Most people just get a cheek weld on the "brace", and if this is the case why not just use a buffer tube with a padded sleeve or something like the Thordsen/CAA Saddle thing? Is there any advantage to these other than pure aesthetics so that they can be made to look sort of like a stock?

Also, just curious, is there any legal distinction between a stock and a stabilise/arm brace other than how it is marketed?

It legally isn't a stock and on paper, these thing were not designed to be stocks and the ATF signed off on that. However, how people use them privately is really their own business.

Now, the do FEEL like stocks and when shouldered, they do function like stocks much like naked buffer tubes can function like stocks if braced against your shoulder. People have been bracing the buffer tubes on AR pistols for years with no complaints until this whole brace thing came along and then other companies got in one this. Most are call them "cheek pieces" and not stocks. Legally it's all about declaring intent and how others see it. It's hard to challenge such a thing because no one has yet to be charged with a crime for possessing one of these things on their guns. The guns are still classed as "pistols" and not rifles, even though the added brace can make it handle like a short barreled rifle.

I plan to get this on my Scorpion Evo http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...brace-adapter/

What it boils down to is that it is an infringement of our rights by limiting what we like in our arms. Be it full auto or barrel length or magazine limits. Even though legally these braces aren't meant to circumvent the laws, the spirit of these products are a sign of rebelling against the wrongs of the government without actually breaking the law. If people really wanted to defy these laws, they could just make actual SBRs illegally if they want to and in your privacy, no one really can stop you unless you announce it to the world online or something.

I've seen a few guys fire "pistols" like this and others at the range with no problems. No one was rushing to their phones to report them or anything.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 10-28-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:31 PM

Got a Smith and Wesson 910 at Gander Mountain the other day. Trade in of some sort.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:03 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Got a Smith and Wesson 910 at Gander Mountain the other day. Trade in of some sort.
And here it is. It's a long story why I'm posting it for SPEMack.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:14 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

So I replaced the Hogue grips with Altamont grips and bonded ivory panels. Altamont is making reproductions of the original Lett grips. Altamont offers numerous panels: wood, bonded ivory, pearl and so on. I picked the bonded ivory panels. Also replaced the front sight with what you see. Ordered that directly from Ruger.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Those look really sharp!

If Al Pacino would have carried a revolver in "Heat" that's how it would have looked!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

The grip panels also came from Altamont. The entire package of rubber grips and panels set me back $40.00. Altamont offers many different panels. The ones I went with are called bonded ivory by Altamont, but I've been told that what they really are is a resin. Whatever they are I like them and I can't afford real ivory so there you go. I've always liked the look of Ivory grips - or faux Ivory grips. The front sight I ordered directly from Ruger. I like the orange/red insert in the front sight. The factory installed front sight is black and my aging eyes find that hard to focus on. I've read that the orange/red front sight is universally despised, but I've never been very good at following the universe.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
And here it is. It's a long story why I'm posting it for SPEMack.
New car gun? I bought a 915 a few years ago, ended up giving it to my father so he'd have something other than a failure prone Kimber as a handgun, since he liked it so much.

They don't feel like budget guns, do they?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 AM

Dude, you have a no idea. It shoots like some of the new M-9s I shot in the Army did. Or one of my buddy's P-229s.

Pretty nifty. Asked for a bunch of both factory S&W 15 rounder mags and Mec-Gar 17 rounders for it for Christmas.

I shoot high with it, but not terrible.

Cordell, I'm all about the high vis front sights. Screw the universe. It never provides when it is supposed to.

Also, thanks again for getting the picture posted.