imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 AM

Default Question about Formatting & Organization

I've been wondering about this for a while, but are there an "official" (in the sense that the moderators approve of them) formats by which movie, TV, and video game pages should be organized? I bring this up because of my discussion with AdAstra2009 in the District 9 page, since I feel the previous format of having categories based on type with weapons listed within them chronologically is more clear than simply having them arranged in chronological order without categories. There's no specific means of organization that is listed in the rules page, so I was wondering whether anyone would like to clarify what is or isn't an "appropriate" format.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

In all honesty, there is no established standard. But the de facto rule seems to be as follows:

(1.) If it's a movie that doesn't have too many types of guns (say, 10-12), the listing is chronological.

(2.) If it's a movie/TV show with many types of weapons (over 20), then we tend to use categories of weapons.

(3.) If it's a TV show, it's arranged by Season, then chronological (see our "24" page, for instance).

(4.) If it's a TV show that has featured HUNDREDS of weapons, each season gets its own page, then the weapons are listed categorically ("Miami Vice" being the classic example here).

Hope that helps. But personally, I don't care too much. I mostly care about the format of the individual gun entries (i.e. gun photos and page links, correct spelling of the gun name, no link in the heading, etc.)