imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Users should be required to put some minimal information on their user pages

It's rather obnoxious to argue with someone with a 'red' user name (i.e. no info given). Age is important, but not always necessary, but sometimes I get the feeling I'm talking with a little kid and that pisses me off. I will actually be not so HARD on a kid for saying something stupid than an adult. IMFDB has users who are minors who are just as smart and knowledgeable as many adults, so I'm not talking about them. I always found it a bit obnoxious when someone won't even take the time to put some basic info about themselves. It's kinda like a "F*** you" to IMFDB, "I don't need to give you any stinking background info!" mentality.

Also we're starting to get quite a few foreigners. And no, I may ridicule Commonwealth subjects (like the poor bastards in the U.K. etc) there is usually no language barrier with Members from English speaking nations. I wish they would identify what country they're from. Seeing CRAPLISH as english is annoying, more so if the person has no excuse (if English is NOT their first language, that IS an excuse).

Thoughts? Commentary? Flames?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

This is just a different flavor of the same ice cream you were serving up earlier. This site needs some sort of idiot filter to help keep things in check. I can sense you being driven to madness by this. Preventative measures must be adopted to save MPM, if not the site at large.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I totally agree about the rednames. There are a few rednames that love to make correctons and there is no way to send them a message. Irritating.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I totally agree about the rednames. There are a few rednames that love to make correctons and there is no way to send them a message. Irritating.
You can always create their talk page for them. But it doesn't mean they'll be reading it.

I always thought it was rather obnoxious to refuse to put any sort of info. It's not an invasion of privacy to state what part of the world you are from. Also a hint as to what your background is. You don't have to put your entire background out there for the world to see, but the internet is too anonymous and it is a great shield for vandals, jackasses and morons to pollute everyone else's hard work.

I'm tempted to start randomly banning redname members for just one day (nothing punitive, just a single day) with a warning to all that you must put in background info in your user page or we'll just start randomly take away your ability to edit for one day. Not consecutive days, but just one day every few weeks or so and you'll never know what day that is. hahaha. Just my evil mind at work.

Will that create a problem? I think we should change the rules so that editing member are required to put some background in their user pages, and writing "I'm not putting in my details so F*** off'" does not count as complying....
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Sure why not? Might get some people to become more involved and drive off some of the idiots. One can hope.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Point taken. I'll go put some basic info on my talk page now.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think we should make a template like Vangelis used to do and slap them on the top of the red user pages saying if they don't add user information they will be at risk of being removed.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

I would very much like to keep my user page as is.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I would very much like to keep my user page as is.
Which is what?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Which is what?
Only those brave individuals who dare take the journey to find my userpage are worthy to gaze upon its majesty.