imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Gentlemen political correctness or not this thread is straying onto thin ice. I understand that everyone is making a statement about words and the meanings that we give to them. Point taken. Let's get back on with the original topic and give the George Carlin action a rest.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
"Nigger" is more convenient than "African American".
I agree with BurtReynoldsMoustache, even though his sardonic reply was a little ham handed. Per "Jap" I don't buy the bullshit line that it's just a quicker way to say Japanese. Throughout the 20th century it was used as a racial epithet, so to ignore that is to be intentionally dense. IMFDB frowns upon ANY racial epithet, not because we're being politically correct, but that we want to respect ALL good contributing members of all races and that means not insulting them.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I agree with BurtReynoldsMoustache, even though his sardonic reply was a little ham handed.
Who's the foxy lady in your av?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
The term trooper or Mann was replaced in 1941 with the term Schütze or Rifleman in the Waffen-SS which is the equivalent to Private in the US Army.

I know what you are saying it's just in the credits the actors are listed as X so that is what should be put down. We list the actors characters as what is in the credits and verified by IMDb nothing more or less. IMFDB has more and more industry people looking through it so it's best to keep it to what the credits say.
Well, I looked in IMDb, and all the SS people were listed as either SS guard, SS NCO, SS enlisted man, or SS officer, so I'll pull up a chart of SS ranks and label accordingly.

When you say industry people, you mean people from the movie-making industry? Or do you mean another industry, one that isn't run by Jewish liberals who hate Nazis more than anyone?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, I looked in IMDb, and all the SS people were listed as either SS guard, SS NCO, SS enlisted man, or SS officer, so I'll pull up a chart of SS ranks and label accordingly.

When you say industry people, you mean people from the movie-making industry? Or do you mean another industry, one that isn't run by Jewish liberals who hate Nazis more than anyone?
Individually IMFDB ALWAYS put what the credits say. And I have no problem in generically describing SS personnel as guards, officers, etc. But you're missing the point that it is not wrong to call them soldiers when so many of their divisions were sent to fight like soldiers, regardless of what the post war organizations decided.

And you're getting close to becoming a pain, I'd watch it. Lest you start to sound more and more like POI.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Individually IMFDB ALWAYS put what the credits say. And I have no problem in generically describing SS personnel as guards, officers, etc. But you're missing the point that it is not wrong to call them soldiers when so many of their divisions were sent to fight like soldiers, regardless of what the post war organizations decided.

And you're getting close to becoming a pain, I'd watch it. Lest you start to sound more and more like POI.
If I got snarky, I apologize. Then again, I wasn't the only one, and I certainly wasn't the one who dropped an N-bomb in here.

What is it the "pain" here? Is our continued presence here only at the pleasure of the mods? We're having a historical debate, and no one should take offense to that, and besides, I have apologized for any unintentional offense I may have caused. And unlike others, I have tried to stay on topic.

Last edited by funkychinaman; 08-31-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: removed first quote, unrelated
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

If they were listed as SS guard, SS NCO or SS officer than that is how they should be listed on your page.

When I say industry people it is ones who work in the film industry like myself and others who are starting to look at IMFDB as a source of information.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
If I got snarky, I apologize. Then again, I wasn't the only one, and I certainly wasn't the one who dropped an N-bomb in here.

What is it the "pain" here? Is our continued presence here only at the pleasure of the mods? We're having a historical debate, and no one should take offense to that, and besides, I have apologized for any unintentional offense I may have caused. And unlike others, I have tried to stay on topic.
Your cool as debate on subjects does gets the blood pressure up. I for one disagree with some of the Nuremberg trial outcomes. The big one is listing an SS soldier as part of a criminal organization. I am sure that was mostly at the behest of the Russians who's hands were bloodier then the entire SS. During World War II the one's with the cleanest hand were the British and Commonwealth Army as the rest of the allies hands were just as dirty as the Germans.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Your cool as debate on subjects does gets the blood pressure up. I for one disagree with some of the Nuremberg trial outcomes. The big one is listing an SS soldier as part of a criminal organization. I am sure that was mostly at the behest of the Russians who's hands were bloodier then the entire SS. During World War II the one's with the cleanest hand were the British and Commonwealth Army as the rest of the allies hands were just as dirty as the Germans.
How exactly was the Commonwealth the least guilty of the belligerent parties?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
and I certainly wasn't the one who dropped an N-bomb in here.
Closed Thread