imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Did you even read the original post, or do you assume anything that doesn't immediately demonize Nazis is white supremacist propaganda?



This should sum it up for you.
I'm defending those same people by saying that German soldiers, airmen and sailors who fought honorably should not be lumped in with people who WERE criminals. And you're the one who just called all Germans from the period Nazis. Germans are not to be demonized, Nazis are.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #32  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
No but you're being INCREDIBLY MYOPIC. As I stated before, there were plenty of Waffen SS units, especially the Panzer divisions, which fought just like Heer units. There was no difference, especially on the Eastern Front. Don't use the post war condemnation of the SS as proof. Even though the disdain was justified it was still politically motivated. The winners of WW2 really wanted to crush any vestige of the Third Reich into the mud.

You're confusing the SS units who were occupation troops and death camp staff with combat units that fought on the front and you seem to be hysterical about this point. Get over it.
The Waffen SS was declared a criminal organization as well. And in the end, does it matter how they died? If we met a million Taliban troops or IRA troops in battle and killed them all, they'd still be terrorists. I'm talking about a legal distinction. And post war condemnations? They were condemned because we saw what they did. Einsatzgruppen were SS as well. The Malmedy Massacre was Waffen SS. And as I said, Waffen SS took over extermination camp administration starting in 1942, so it WAS them. There's no political motivation for bringing a genocidal regime to justice, it's just the right thing to do. It's political motivation that had the Allies ease up after the Iron Curtain fell. And you say crushing any vestige of the Third Reich into the mud like was a bad thing.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #33  
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,527
Default

And I don't know if I'd use the word "myopic," but I'd certainly admit to seeing it as a black and white issue. But what has the SS done in the past 64 years to earn any of our sympathy or the benefit of our doubt? What has been done to rehabilitate their image? And as the survivors of Nazi atrocities slowly die off, is it not our duty to stay vigilant?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #34  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
BurtReynoldsMoustache BurtReynoldsMoustache is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 929
Default

Are you that POI cat everyone keeps yappin' about? He did say he would be back...
  #35  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 PM
BurtReynoldsMoustache BurtReynoldsMoustache is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The Waffen SS was declared a criminal organization as well. And in the end, does it matter how they died? If we met a million Taliban troops or IRA troops in battle and killed them all, they'd still be terrorists. I'm talking about a legal distinction. And post war condemnations? They were condemned because we saw what they did. Einsatzgruppen were SS as well. The Malmedy Massacre was Waffen SS. And as I said, Waffen SS took over extermination camp administration starting in 1942, so it WAS them. There's no political motivation for bringing a genocidal regime to justice, it's just the right thing to do. It's political motivation that had the Allies ease up after the Iron Curtain fell. And you say crushing any vestige of the Third Reich into the mud like was a bad thing.
Also the Taliban are not terrorists. They, too, are a political faction. You have them confused with Al Qaeda
  #36  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Phoenixent Phoenixent is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
And I don't know if I'd use the word "myopic," but I'd certainly admit to seeing it as a black and white issue. But what has the SS done in the past 64 years to earn any of our sympathy or the benefit of our doubt? What has been done to rehabilitate their image? And as the survivors of Nazi atrocities slowly die off, is it not our duty to stay vigilant?
What you say is correct about atrocities but soldiers in the Waffen-SS were still soldiers. They will be listed on pages as soldiers just like Japanese soldiers from Unit 731.

The actor playing the role was not listed as SS criminal but SS soldier. Any change to pages other wise will be dealt with as we are just to put information to fill in facts on the film and not any political leaning or view.
  #37  
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
What you say is correct about atrocities but soldiers in the Waffen-SS were still soldiers. They will be listed on pages as soldiers just like Japanese soldiers from Unit 731.

The actor playing the role was not listed as SS criminal but SS soldier. Any change to pages other wise will be dealt with as we are just to put information to fill in facts on the film and not any political leaning or view.
Unit 731 was still at least part of the Imperial Japanese Army proper. (Just look at my name, I'm the last person who'd want to stand up for the Japs. And it pisses me off they they avoided prosecution.) The Waffen SS was its own separate entity, and that was a deliberate separation on behalf of the Nazi leadership.

I did not want to list him as an "SS criminal," but simply as an "SS trooper," seeing how the title of "soldier" had been denied them by the IMT. I saw no reason why we should restore a title that had been denied them by a body far more qualifed that we were. The fact that the person in the screencap had just put a bullet through the head of a woman for the crime of having a nosebleed and being Jewish seems to indicate that the man, indeed, is a criminal. And "Trooper" was the most basic SS rank, so it seems appropriate.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
  #38  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM
BurtReynoldsMoustache BurtReynoldsMoustache is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Japs.
Let's not do this.
  #39  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Let's not do this.
What, it's just a quick convenient way to say Jap-a-nese
  #40  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,527
Default

If anyone is offended, I apologize. "Nips" it is then... (J/K)



(Seriously, if anyone is not okay with it, I apologize.)
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.