imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Not being a U.S. Citizen has nothing to do with being oblivious to what a "Hollywood Liberal" is. All one has to do is do things like watch the news, or read the newspaper. Meeting them in person is very instructive, but you don't have to physically be in contact with them to know the type. To not know, implies that a person is being what is called a 'low information voter', i.e. someone who does not keep up with politics, national news, international news, etc. Gotta be careful not to appear like that.
As I am not a US Citizen nor do I reside in the US, I can't vote in US elections either, so you can rest easy I don't "pollute the process" with an "uninformed vote."

Last I checked, the term "Hollywood Liberal" appears to be bandied around most often in US conservative media pundits and news agencies. I don't normally partake of the likes of Rush Limbaugh or Fox News, which explains why I haven't heard of the term much before, but it's still too easy to brand someone you don't agree with whatever epithet you want than to engage their arguments and work through them in a rational, civilized, manner. I'm more of a realist though, and don't feel the need to turn every place into my speaking hall as you imply that "Hollywood Liberals" do. To me, all that really matters for film set suppliers such as costumers, armourers, caterers, etc. is that they supply what's needed on time and on budget; their political views are immaterial to the task at hand, which is getting films made.

Quote:
You may show a stunningly professional attitude and demeanor when you're working. I can guarantee you that a majority of the human population does not.
I would have thought that "natural selection" in Hollywood should have weeded out those who can't stay professional enough to hold down good roles and a good reputation. You can't do those two if you're busy spouting your own ideology to everyone you meet on set.

Quote:
Again, Hollywood Liberals are insulated. They assume everyone around them has the same opinions.
I believe that's a tendency that can be found in everyone. We all gravitate to people who share the same opinions about certain issues that we do; the internet bears this out. We prefer media sources and the company of people who mirror our biases. And "mental insularity" isn't unique to any one position on the political spectrum.

Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to live in a world of the hypothetical. Production companies are responsible, but it's the stupid actors who don't care. Why? Because they themselves are never individually responsible for any damaged or destroyed props or weapons. Never. The production company ALWAYS picks up the tab.
I take it that in a less "star-studded" area, these actors would acquire a bad reputation and companies would refuse to work with them or supply prop firearms to them. The problem is that on the Hollywood sets, there's always someone else willing to work for that kind of money, right?