imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Ah, I see. The only laptop I ever owned overheated in 5 minutes, loaded at a snails pace, and was outdated by like a century (an IBM ThinkPad to be exact). It's dead and gone now, I'm currently seeking a new replacement.

And I think you might be able to get your laptop keyboard switched. Just give to the GeekSquad at Bestbuy or something and ask if they can fix it. They can probably switch out for a better keyboard or fix the sticky keys.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Im looking for an aircan to spray the keys and see if that works.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

It's amazing how we go from talking about SCARs to computer keyboards.

My bad, though. I started it.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Alright then, what is better, the SCAR or the Bushmaster ACR? They both have a similiar built to them

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM

Nobody will know until bushmaster actually releases the thing...every year they say it will be released by the end of the year....
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Bushmaster makes really high quality guns, so I'm expecting something good. Chances are I will never handle either gun in my entire life though, so it doesn't really matter for me.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well at the last shot show or whatever it's called, Bushmaster took their latest prototype design of the ACR out and it is pretty impressive

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM

There president is a member of my gun club and bushy used to do testing there, but 8 hour full auto sessions angered the neighbors. They do fullauto elsewhere but there qaccuracy testing and long range stuff is still at my club occasionally. I so hope I say an ACR there someday.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
You my friend are wrong on the AR DI being mechanically simpler. The AR has for that system a Gas Tube, Gas Key, two Gas Key Screws, Carrier, Bolt, three Gas Rings, Cam Pin, Firing Pin, Firing Pin Retainer Pin = 12 parts. The AK has a Gas Tube, Bolt Carrier, Piston, Bolt, Firing Pin = 4 parts. Less parts on the AK therefore it is mechanically simpler.

The intent of using a gas piston compared to the DI is to reduce fouling during combat. A gas piston AR is useless to law enforcement or civilians as they are not operating in the harsh environments that our troops operate in.

I have had the SCAR in my hand as we have demoed a couple of times there are still some things that are being changed on it on being the bolt handle. But overall the weapons operation is excellent. I am sure that if the SCAR had 50 years of development it too would changed in configuration. Think XM177E1 to M4A1 similar looks yet completely different systems each with there own problem.

I understand you stance as being pro AR system but the AR is not the only thing in the world and I have built over a Thousand AR's in my life so far.
I'm sure you built over a thousand AR in your life time.

Piston doesn't reduce fouling in a gun. It change where the fouling is located. The fouling doesn't magically disappear in piston gun. I shot my AKs and you know where all the fouling is located? The piston and the piston tube.

The SCAR use a modified AR18 action. It's nothing new. Just a different stock.

Last edited by jdun; 06-04-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Well jdun you mind me asking your experience with the ar-15 platform? Just curious.

And Id love to see LWRC uppers. Also, the dust test had multiple m4s, I knew youd try to discredit it, all the AR fans do. My friends dad has some manuals left over from his GM days, the m16a3 manual says that its important to learn SPORTS because you can expect at least one jam every 90 rounds.

I own four complete Ar15. I have six complete lowers and four complete uppers. I have tones of AR15 strip lowers. I have built a lot of AR for friends and relatives, but not in the "thousands".

I shoot a lot and have a lot of different type of firearms in my collection. I been shooting since I was a kid.