imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I've talked to a couple officers who have been shot and their vests saved their life. One of the officers was already in a firefight when he got hit twice with a 38 Super. He never even realized he had been hit at the time. Which is consistent with other accounts I've come across. You aren't aware of such things at the moment.

After it was all over (he won the bad guy didn't) he began to hurt. He had a broken rib and some very impressive bruising, but he was alive. And the 38 Super is a zippy load.

The other officer was in a stand-off with the suspect. It went on for about ten minutes (the officer told me it felt like ten hours) until the suspect pulled the trigger. Two other officers on scene then opened fire and killed the suspect.

The suspect was armed with a .380 Raven. The bullet struck dead center and was stopped by the ceramic plate.It never even penetetrated the vest panel which meant his vest was still good to wear. But the officer said it felt like he was hit with a sledgehammer. He still brought his weapon onto the suspect, but at that point the suspect was no longer a threat. That officer also had a pretty impressive bruise and he was x-rayed and given a perscription of extra-strong Naproxen for the aches and pains.

But both officers lived and went on with their careers and their lives. Makes the discomfort of wearing the vest in the summertime well worth it.

Just some F.Y.I. for those who are interested.