imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Which images look better?
Gunman69's newest images 6 60.00%
Yournamehere's brightened images 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Default Reservoir Dogs page controversy continues.....

In short, I, the major contributor to the Reservoir Dogs page, have been having trouble with a member named Gunman69 who thinks the page isn't quality and has been persistently trying to place his own edits on the entirety of the page. My more or less "official statement" on the whole matter is here:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...r_on_this_page

I guess this thread is just to bring light to this senseless fight between me, the major contributor, and some member who's hungry for credit, at least that's what I see. We can discuss "page ownership" and credit/bragging rights, or just the overall philosophy behind creating a page and having your name on it, and everything in between. Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have no dog in this fight, and believe me, it's hard not to take it personally when people start making changes on a page you work hard on.

That being said.

From the rules comes this:

Quality take priority over bragging rights. A better quality screenshot can be uploaded over one of lesser quality. Blu-Ray images or high quality DVD images are preferable over standard definition images or older (lesser quality DVD) images.

Technically, Gunman69's screencaps do appear to be a little brighter and slightly better than yours. Now, you are well within your rights to edit your own pics to make them better, but technically, (per the rules) ANY PAGE on IMFDB can have their images replaced by better pics. The arguments are always whether or not the images are actually better or not. That's where the subjectiveness comes in. Others can chime in on this matter, hopefully.

Now I am not sure about any content changes, but if a single member did most of the work making a page, other members should only make changes that are absolutely necessary. Fixing Typos, removing Spoilers, clarifying grammar, those are all 'protected and encouraged actions per IMFDB rules'. But simple word tweaking in which the 'new version' and the 'old version' have no clear advantage, stick with the old.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 AM

The thing is I don't think they are better. They look almost exactly like mine but with more saturated colors. The quality doesn't differ much. If anything the saturation makes them look worse overall though.

Edit: Alright Gunman69 posted a response and since I can juxtapose the pictures on top of eachother, his pictures are brighter, though not much clearer, and still saturated. I'm gonna take my images and auto-adjust them so they come out brighter without the saturation and hopefully we can call this.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 01-14-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It's not really my call either to see who is better. Gunman's do seem to be brighter which can be a plus, but it does have somewhat more saturated colors due to being brighter.

YNH, I do think Gunman is a bit right on how touchy you are that this is your page. Not trying to blow you off, you put the effort down, but do try to be open minded when someone else adds to your page.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 AM

I don't mind people adding to my page. For example, MPM2008 deleted my comments about Orange's holster, which I thought was okay, and Gunman pointed out the 6906 which I never caught, as well as added to the "personal 639" theory. My only gripe is when the whole thing gets overhauled without so much as a tap on my shoulder or any notification. I'm plenty open minded, but when it comes to slim margins of quality as we've seen here, a second opinion is almost necessary, and who better to give a second opinion than the one who did it first?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I don't mind people adding to my page. I'm plenty open minded, but when it comes to slim margins of quality as we've seen here, a second opinion is almost necessary, and who better to give a second opinion than the one who did it first?
While you may be a major contributor to that page. It's not just your page.
"Please note that all contributions to imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database may be edited, altered, or removed by other contributors."

I think you're trying too much to keep your own images on the page. When someone selects one of the pics your username is still there, it's just wouldn't be your current pic. The credit to you is still there.

The coloring is better on Gunman's pics. You spent all that time reverting his images back to yours when they should have been left alone.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 AM

If you read my post in the discussion section of the Reservoir Dogs page, you'd understand that I understand the philosophy behind page ownership and the freedom of alteration. What I'm discussing is more of a grey area than that. I put up a poll so people can vote which is better. These are the examples:

Gunman69's newest image:

Yournamehere's brightened image:
Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 PM

I have to say Gunman's newest image looks of better quality to me.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM

i dont want to interfere with this pissing contest but....
why do you need us? just solve it between yourselves in an orderly manner.
and if it ensues then you can tell us
Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 PM

We tried, it came to this.