imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Ag36, ag-c, glm, m320

I think we need to do some reorganizing.

Considering the AG-C and GLM have some pretty notable differences, it doesn't seem correct to suggest they're just different names for the same system. I'm more inclined to say the GLM is a PIP successor system to the AG-C with "GLM" being the company name for the M320. HK's website doesn't even list the AG-C anymore, just the AG36, GLM, HK169, HK269 (a modified GLM with a barrel that can swing open to either side), and GMG.

Furthermore, I think we need to stop treating the GLM and M320 as separate systems because they're simply the same thing and continuing to separate them is akin to having separate pages for the M4A1 and Colt Model 923. I think it would simplify things greatly if the AG36 page covered the AG36 and AG-C and we renamed the M320 page to ''Heckler & Koch GLM'' to cover the GLM/M320 and its successive developments, the HK169 and (probably eventually) HK269.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think the confusion with people thinking they are alternate names is that the variant of the AG-C which looked more like the M320 (shorter barrel, folding grip) is called the AG-C/EGLM and people think the slash is implying two different names rather than it just being a rather complicated designation. On the topic of alternate names though, the AG-C/EGLM was renamed just as the GLM at some point which rather complicates the issue. There is also the problem that most AG-C launchers are not actually called that, this is more just the name of the series I think. Depending on what they are built to be fitted to the designation changes, so they will instead be marked AG-36 (for G36s, I think they are actually marked AG-G36 but whatever), AG-NL (for C7s and C8s), AG-HK416 (for the obvious), AG-SA 80 (for L85A2s), stuff like that.

They are all a bit of a muddle to be honest as at various points they have changed the design and not the designation, and at other times have changed the designation without any design changes. As the models all seem to cross over I don't think we should separate them into two pages (AG36 and GLM) and should instead just put them all on one page and separate the variants.

There is a big topic on the M320 talk page where I was going to do this, but one of the reasons I didn't at the time is I didn't really know what to call it. At the time I thought "Heckler & Koch GLM series", but the problem with this is that the term GLM refers to one specific variant (or at least one subset of later variants). Now, I kind of wonder if the better name would be "Heckler & Koch AG series grenade launchers" or something like that. With the exception of the original XM320 for the XM8 on which everything is based the term AG would apply to pretty much everything. If you look on the H&K site, the current "GLM" that they show is actually marked AG-HK416 (as it is the model for the HK416) so "AG" is still the current terminology that they use.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

I did some more research and it turns out that AG is actually the name of the series. What AG stands for is a bit questionable as some say it is Anbau-Gerät, translating to something like "attached device", but I would go with Anbau-Granatwerfer (attached grenade launcher) as firstly this makes more sense, and secondly this is what H&K called it in their patent (which also gave me the information that it was apparently designed in 1999).

I'll have a go at making a combined page to see how it looks, but I'll leave the existing pages as they are for now as it might turn into a total mess.