imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
So your saying if you change everything to make it into a completely different gun than it's an L96A1?
No, I'm saying it's missing a few details [mag well, a piece of the stock], has a big silly silencer added, and the barrel doesn't extend far enough back onto the frame. That doesn't make it a completely different gun, you're being ridiculous. This is the same game that wants you to believe this is an MP5K, don't forget.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-20-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have to agree with AdAstra here, I think you're being a bit ridiculous.

Missing: "[mag well, a piece of the stock], has a big silly silencer added, and the barrel doesn't extend far enough back onto the frame."

These differences seperate it from resembling an L96A1 pretty much at all. In fact, I look at the gun and see no similarities. At least the DK5 looks something like an MP5K in basic shape. The sniper rifle looks nothing like an L96A1.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:49 AM

That's the two side by side and scaled to be the same length; there's certainly a missing section of forearm and since there's no reciever the Goldeneye barrel just ends for no good reason, but there's an overall similarity if you imagine all the detail removed from the L96. Still a few differences, but it's as good a guess as any.

Incidentally, before I put it down as an L96 it was labelled as a KSVK, which isn't exactly a more realistic claim. I would also note again that I reverted PersonOfInterest's changes to the article after an admin reverted almost all of them and protected the page the first time he made them. I don't think I can be faulted for assuming that meant the changes should be reverted as vandalism if they were made again.

Not really worth arguing over, anyway, I just felt it was better to call it something; if it's too vague, I've no problem with it being removed. I'd rather work on turning things like this into things like this than get hung up on what guns that look like they were made of plasticine by a drunk are.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-20-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

Labelling it as "Fictional Sniper Rifle" solves the problem completely.

It's semiautomatic, has wooden furniture, and is used by the Russians. Is it an SVD?

It has an 8 round magazine. Is it an M1D or M1C?

It has a silencer. Is it a VSS?

It's nothing. Nothing at all. Just a "sniper rifle".
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
It's semiautomatic, has wooden furniture, and is used by the Russians. Is it an SVD?
The line of thought I was going for was 'used by James Bond' [he starts Surface 1 with it] therefore English, therefore L96A1, and the resemblance being what clinches it, but I can see how if you don't think along those lines you can end up somewhere completly different. The semi-auto isn't really an issue since even the pump action shotgun in Goldeneye ended up semi auto, and the wooden furniture similar; Goldeneye has a P90 with wooden furniture.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-20-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Not really worth arguing over, anyway, I just felt it was better to call it something; if it's too vague, I've no problem with it being removed. I'd rather work on turning things like this into things like this than get hung up on what guns that look like they were made of plasticine by a drunk are.
The only issue i have with the new farcry page is the fact that the M-249 does have 100 round belts in a fabric bag rather than a plastic box. yeah it's a minor quible so...whatever.

Still if you get ahold of the new Fallout 1,2 & Tactics pack or Jagged Alliance 2:Unfinished Buisiness feel free to upgrade the pages.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Labelling it as "Fictional Sniper Rifle" solves the problem completely.

It has an 8 round magazine. Is it an M1D or M1C?

It has a silencer. Is it a VSS?

It's nothing. Nothing at all. Just a "sniper rifle".
I agree --------
Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 AM

I do think the way PersonOfInterest edited it wasn't really right either, however; sure, we've established there isn't enough detail to tell what it is, but that doesn't mean we can declare it was never supposed to be anything as he did [in particular we can't say it specifically isn't supposed to be a bolt-action, given this is a game with a semi-auto pump shotgun]; all we can say is we can't tell what it is and have no concrete evidence it was supposed to be anything. I've re-worded it as:

Quote:
The "Sniper Rifle" is a silenced semi-automatic sniper rifle with wooden furniture; it bears a passing resemblance to a couple of real-life sniper rifles, but none clearly enough to make a good judgement as to precisely what it was based on. Notably, the midsection is completely undetailled, the weapon having no clear action or magazine location.
Which is about the best we can say until someone from Rare comes in and admits it was based on a Beretta Inox and they stopped putting cactus venom in the vending machines after that day.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Which is about the best we can say until someone from Rare comes in and admits it was based on a Beretta Inox and they stopped putting cactus venom in the vending machines after that day.
I bet they'd think "why would anyone give a crap what it was"
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
I do think the way PersonOfInterest edited it wasn't really right either, however; sure, we've established there isn't enough detail to tell what it is, but that doesn't mean we can declare it was never supposed to be anything as he did [in particular we can't say it specifically isn't supposed to be a bolt-action, given this is a game with a semi-auto pump shotgun];
The "semiautomatic pump shotgun" isn't really "in the game". It does not appear in either single player or multiplayer and can only be accessed with a cheat.

Rare probably decided to toss it, but forgot to remove it completely. So really its irrelevant.