imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Default Submachine gun/ Comapct assault rifle debate

See on a lot of pages where a rifle caliber gun is called a SMG since its small, like aks-74u is commonly called a SMG, ive seen "colt 733 smg"?

I say any rifle caliber caliber is a rifle, pistol caliber is a SMG. Should we put an official ID policy up?

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM

I personally agree about that. Unfortunaly you do get some weapons that do blur the line as they are a rifle converted to a pistol caliber.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well something like that Colt AR-15 in 9mm should be called an SMG because it fires pistol ammo.

Then we got the Cx4 Storm, which has been called a rifle, but it fires pistol rounds.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well something like that Colt AR-15 in 9mm should be called an SMG because it fires pistol ammo.

Then we got the Cx4 Storm, which has been called a rifle, but it fires pistol rounds.
Pistol carbine seems like it would be an appropriate nomenclature.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
ive seen "colt 733 smg"?
That might have something to do with Colt marketing the CAR-15 series as Sub-Machine guns despite them not technically being SMGs.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
That might have something to do with Colt marketing the CAR-15 series as Sub-Machine guns despite them not technically being SMGs.
Before it was called the Sturmgewehr 44, it was called the Maschinenpistole 43. Even the AK-47 was originally issued as a submachine gun, with the SKS being the primary infantry rifle. So confusing.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I agree with K9870 - if it was based on a full-size assault rifle, and it fires the same ammo, it's still a rifle, not a subgun. Even if the weapon's role is basically quite similar to a subgun role. But it is true that manufacturers themselves have not always respected this definition - not only with the Colt 733, but also the Daewoo K1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Even the AK-47 was originally issued as a submachine gun, with the SKS being the primary infantry rifle. So confusing.
Very true. The Chinese even specifically called their AK-47 copy the "Type 56 submachine gun"; they kept using AKs in the subgun role long after the Soviet states had made AKs into their standard infantry rifles.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Before it was called the Sturmgewehr 44, it was called the Maschinenpistole 43.
Well it was called MP, meaning machine pistol to disguise it from Hitler because he didn't like the idea of the ammo that it used...until he saw it in action and renamed it the "Storm Rifle".

I think with the Chinese, what they call it in the language was just a mistranslation because they didnt have a word for Assault Rifle.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well it was called MP, meaning machine pistol to disguise it from Hitler because he didn't like the idea of the ammo that it used...until he saw it in action and renamed it the "Storm Rifle".
Uh, not Storm rifle. Even though in Germanic Dictionaries, the noun for Sturm can mean "storm/Gale/Tempest" it also means "attack or Assault". Everyone assumed Hitler meant "Assault" not "bad weather" when he named the rifle.....
Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Uh, not Storm rifle. Even though in Germanic Dictionaries, the noun for Sturm can mean "storm/Gale/Tempest" it also means "attack or Assault". Everyone assumed Hitler meant "Assault" not "bad weather" when he named the rifle.....
Angriffgewehr 44 doesn't quite have the same punch to it.